Boot Camp Question Noooob

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scottie12, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Scottie12 macrumors newbie

If I want to run bootcamp on my '11 MBP can use the windows CD that came with my old dell xps to install vista on my mac? :confused:
    Any help would be awesome thanks!
    Scott

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, you need to use the retail Windows disc, not an OEM or upgrade disc. Furthermore, I think the 2011 Air will only let you install Windows 7.

3. Scottie12 thread starter macrumors newbie

OEM?

so I can't do windows 7 on a '11 MBP? Would I have to Vista?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Example, Dell or HP. You can't use a Dell or HP or other OEM branded disc.

I think you can only use Windows 7 on a 2011 Macbook Air, not Vista. But Vista and even maybe XP might be able to be put on with a bit of expert tweaking.

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

You can only do Windows 7, XP and Vista are no longer supported with BootCamp drivers. You need a purchased original disk and not OEM or upgrade disk.

I believe some have gotten the others to work with digging, but Vista is not worth the extra effort IMHO.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

no that Dell disc only works on the Dell its not a full retail version of Windows

7. Scottie12 thread starter macrumors newbie

cool understood.
    But I'm getting two answers on what I can load into boot camp. So will windows 7 install in bootcamp on the '11 macbook pro?
    Oh, and what do you guys recommend for uninstalling apps/programs?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The 2011 Macbook Pro can only use Windows 7.

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yup i have have windows 7 on my 2011 MBP

what do you mean uninstalling apps/programs?

10. Scottie12 thread starter macrumors newbie

from what I understand uninstalling programs isn't as easy as it was on PC. Simply dragging the program to the trash doesn't mean it's uninstalled?
    And thanks for all the help so far ya'll!

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

on OS X?

i use AppCleaner, open it up drag the app into it and it will delete the app and all folder that got installed with it

12. Scottie12 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah OS X. I was afraid to upgrade to Lion after all the review I read. And you're getting these apps from the app store?

----------

oh and what programs do you guys recommend to keep junk from building up on the HD? Just wanna keep my mac running like new ya know?

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

app cleaner can be found using google

the app store is not every app, OS X still has programs that can be found elsewhere ie the company the makes the softwares website just like PC's

to keep junk from building up i use CleanMyMac, its not free but like anything in life theres ways around it ;)

14. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

A drag of the application to the trash will fully uninstall the application for use. Sometimes a plist, folder, or file might get left behind but they will cause no problems. Unlike Windows, no registry exists to muck up and slow down the OS (what is left behind will not cause any issues). It is recommended if the application came with an uninstaller to use that rather than the drag to trash method (although the drag will work and not hurt anything, it can cause files to be left behind and not be fully cleaned up).

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

+1 but some apps depending on what ones can leave 100's of MB behind thats why i use App Cleaner it deletes those folders too

16. Scottie12 thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome info guys thanks so much!
    Anyone have like the ultimate noob link for mastering the basics of our macs? :D that way I can stop bothering ya'll!

17. Scottie12 thread starter macrumors newbie

perfect!
    and anyone know where I can find that cleanmymac activation code? :D

18. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

For one, that is pirating and against the forum rules to discuss, etc. If you must use a cleaner just use AppCleaner from the app store. It is free and the one I use from time to time.

19. Scottie12 thread starter macrumors newbie

my bad guys, crap I hate being new at this. But no worries it was in reference to buying the app of course! :rolleyes:

20. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

check your private messages

21. GGJstudios, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

You don't need "cleaner" apps to keep your Mac running efficiently. Mac OS X does a good job of maintaining itself, without the need for 3rd party apps.
    In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of deleting files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.
    No, it doesn't. It leaves many things behind. Read the link above.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
    Yes, it does. Dragging an app to the trash is all that's required to fully uninstall it, with very few exceptions. However, most apps leave files behind that do nothing once the app is uninstalled. They simply take up disk space, but have no effect beyond that.

22. zeemeerman2 macrumors 6502

Indeed. Take it this way, as an example:
    If you have installed and used Firefox for a while, and got bored of it, you might want to delete it. Simply drag it to the Trash, empty it, and it's gone from your computer. This is, as far as the majority of the people have to worry. But it's not true.
    In ~/Library/, where ~ is your user name (to find it in Lion: in Finder, go to the menu item "Go" > Go to folder... > type in: ~/Library/) you find a lot of files. In the example of Firefox, it could be for instance your bookmarks.
    Just a couple of kilobytes of bookmarks, maybe some settings you tweaked, add-ons you installed, and so on...
    You can search for it and delete it individually, by dragging those files to the Trash and empty it, but it doesn't do much anyway. Just a matter of kilobytes, that's all. For this example, let's decide you don't remove those files.
    Half a year later, when you decide to re-download Firefox to use it again, maybe because a newer version is available which is faster and better, you open up Firefox for the first time in a long while.
    Because you saved all those little Library files from Firefox, all bookmarks you had, all settings you changed, and all things you did to personalize your Firefox experience are there, as if you never deleted Firefox from your computer. It can save you a lot of trouble configuring all settings again, just by not removing those Library files.

But then again, if you think not to use Firefox ever again, and want to regain those precious kilobytes, you can delete it without hesitation or harm. It's just preference files, that's all.