Boot Camp Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by William7, Mar 25, 2012.

1. William7 macrumors member

So I am not currently a mac owner but am planning to purchase a macbook pro for college (if thats what they are still called then) however i will still need windows from time to time and because my softwares are very intensive virtualization was not an option. one thing i had assumed however was that running windows from bootcamp is still not the same as running it elsewhere, is this true? i need it to be the same or else ill have problems most likely if it is different can someone say what is?

here is a link to the article, it suggests microsoft write its own version of boot camp to fix the issues: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-8-on-a-mac-why-microsoft-should-write-its-own-boot-camp/3798

:confused:

2. simsaladimbamba

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The article you linked to explains the differences. If you want to know if you'll be impacted or not you just need to try it. "Very intensive" doesn't really mean anything. Plenty of us Bootcamp with no problems. Win7 runs extremely for me. Like many, I'd say my MBP is the best Windows laptop I've owned. However, my needs probably aren't the same as yours so that isn't relevant.

If you want to dig further then read up on the specific applications that you'll be running and how well they run under Bootcamp. Consider your sources. Corroborate data. A vague discussion using broad, sweeping generalizations here won't help much.

4. ozaz macrumors 65816

Performance-wise, Windows runs very well on a MBP under bootcamp.

However there are a few limitations. I havn't used bootcamp in a while (I've exclusively used virtual machine for about a year now), but my recollection of these limitations are:

* Battery life whilst using Windows under bootcamp is worse than running Mac OS X and worse than running Windows on a similar spec laptop built for Windows. I tended to get 2.5-3 hours under Windows compared to 5 hours under OS X on my 2009 MBP. This was the biggest limitation in my opinion. I guess its probably due to Apple writing drivers that don't take full advantage of Windows power saving features.
    * Bitlocker drive encryption is not fully supported on Macs due to lack of TPM chips. However, this is also the case on most non-business grade Windows laptops.
    * I think the Windows backup program, as well several 3rd party Windows disk backup/cloning programs don't work properly on Mac hardware, or at least are not officially supported on Mac hardware. There are exceptions however. e.g. products from Paragon are officially supported on Macs.

By the way, you've posted in the wrong sub-forum. You probably would have got a better response if you had posted in the Windows on the Mac sub-forum