Boot Camp question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Exodemia, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Exodemia macrumors regular

I have Leopard and am wondering if I can install Fedora 8 in some way with Boot Camp or some partition tool?

2. lallenlowe macrumors member

you absolutely can

I run ubuntu on my MB, it's the easiest thing in the world, Just create a bootcamp partition, install linux on that partition WITH a bootloader. Careful though, make a backup of everything first, just to be sure. Also you might want to consider Ubuntu, their Apple hardware support is by far the best in the Linux world!

3. gojaromeiginla macrumors member

One word of warning, though. If you're planning to run windows in a bootcamp partition, you'll need to have a ton of space in that partition. The OS itself takes up at least 10 GB for XP, 20 for Vista. Then you need to have room for applications, and leave room for your Mac OS. You might want to consider have an external hard drive for Windows.

4. Exodemia thread starter macrumors regular

@ gojaromeiginla - how does that relate to my original post? I was talking about Linux and can you run Windows or Linux off an external drive?

@ lallenlowe - can you point me in the direction of easy instructions on how to do that?

5. lallenlowe macrumors member

Hmmmmm,

Hey, the best way to learn about linux on a mac is www.mactel-linux.org You'll have to look around there about how to install fedora, cause I don't know, I've only done ubuntu, kubuntu, and OpenSuSE.