Boot Camp Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by caldavey, Jan 24, 2008.

1. caldavey macrumors member

caldavey

Since I am about to get Windows XP, and I already have Leopard, will I have to do anything special before installing it? I thought I just had to pop in the disk with no problems and install it, but I was reading another forum and they said that I had to use my install disks or something to install Boot Camp. Can someone please help me with this?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Partition with Boot Camp Assistant
    2. Install Windows
    3. Install drivers off of Leopard Disc
    4. ??????
    5. PROFIT!

Yes it's that simple. How much free space do you have?

3. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

I just purchased the base model for the MacBook Pro and only have COD2 on it so PLENTY. When you say partition, what do you mean? Just throw in the disk and run the install then restart then I'm good to go? Oh, and I need to install B.C. off the Leopard disks? I thought it was just on the HD already. I don't want to delete Mac OSX, just have Windows to run my games.

4. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

1. In Leopard go to spotlight and type "boot camp assistant"

2. boot camp assistant tells you to print out a manual.

3. print out the manual

4. follow the instructions contained in the manual; they are good.

5. dont try to go without the manual-- you could be left hanging.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

partition |pärˈti sh ən; pər-|

verb [ trans. ]
    divide into parts : an agreement was reached to partition the country.
    • divide (a room) into smaller rooms or areas by erecting partitions : the hall was partitioned to contain the noise of the computers.
    • ( partition something off) separate a part of a room from the rest by erecting a partition : partition off part of a large bedroom to create a small bathroom.

Surprisingly enough this does apply to hard drives as well. You're splitting a single physical piece of hardware into multiple logical (data) parts. The Boot Camp Assistant is already preinstalled in OS X. The drivers can be installed in Windows from the Leopard disc.

If you know how to install Windows then I don't see much of a need for the manual.