Boot Camp Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LittleApple08, Jun 24, 2008.

1. LittleApple08 macrumors member

Hey guys I have a Mac Book 10.4.11 what verson of boot camp should I install What should I be aware of when I do it? When I partion my hard drive will I lose data? Can I even do ti with this verson? Right now I am downloading Boot Camp 1.3 DMG like 200+ MB is this just a waste of my time or what? Can someone answer these questions? Thanks I really appreciate it.

2. migulic macrumors member

AFAIK, Boot Camp only works with Leopard now. The beta version that worked with Tiger expired some time ago. So if you want to run Windows on your MB, you would have to upgrade to Leopard :(.

3. LittleApple08 thread starter macrumors member

Damn, in order to upgrade I have to get a whole new computer?

4. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Nah dude...just buy Leopard.

5. LittleApple08 thread starter macrumors member

LOL, Ok.... My bad I am just behind. I was a window user before a Mac thanks alot for your support and help.

6. LittleApple08 thread starter macrumors member

OK so say I have Lepord what's teh correct version of boot camp I'll need and does it always expire? and if it does can I still run windows or have to upgrade the boot camp verson? ;-;

7. LittleApple08 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone know the Correct version of boot camp for 10.5? Is it 2.2? Should I not install it right away? I've googled some stuff and people are saying that it's a pain in the butt. Can anyone relate to this?

Anyone? ;-;

Version?

Thanks!

8. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

Leopard comes with BootCamp 2.0. after you install windows and bootcamp drivers, Apple Updater in Windows will download BootCamp 2.1 for you. Since Leopard comes with BootCamp as a feature, it will never expire. by the way, BootCamp software you need comes on the Leopard DVD, and that's the DVD you use for driver installation.

also, technically, BootCamp doesn't expire. Apple just doesnt provide updated drivers to Tiger Boot Camp users. you can probably find those updated drivers somewhere else on the internet, but that will violate user licensing agreements and is not encouraged.

9. LittleApple08 thread starter macrumors member

Very nice thanks dude. So, I just need to buy the fricken update right? lol

I'm on it, Thanks for your support

10. LittleApple08 thread starter macrumors member

Crap LOL! One more question, can I install any XP version with boot camp, but it has to be service pack 2 or greater right? A friend loaned me their Dell reinstallion disk will that work to install XP? It's what I mentioned Service pack 2.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No. Go out and buy a real copy. Using your friend's disk is not only illegal it simply won't work.

12. LittleApple08 thread starter macrumors member

13. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

It has to be a full version of XP with SP2, which you can find at ebay and such for cheep. Be sure to print and read the manual that BootCamp will display... or you will be in for a world of hurt.

14. LittleApple08 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I've heard that if you don't download the correct updates your whole computer will freeze after you restart XP. Then theirs almost no way to get it to work. I read this in a forum so I don't know if it's accurate but yeah I always read ahead. What's a good price for the XP? Below $50 any chance lol? I can look this up just asking.