Boot camp recovery?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by antiderivative, Mar 18, 2013.

1. antiderivative macrumors newbie

Hello dear community!

This is my first post so I apologize in advance if it is malplaced.
    The simple question: are there anyway to recover a deleted Boot Camp partition?

The explanation: I am running an mid 2011 iMac 21,5" and was running Windows 7 all happy a long side with my Mac OS X in Boot Camp. I thought one day that Windows 8 would be cool, with Boot Camp 5.0 who I thought would support iMac 21,5" and didn't. So I took backup on my Windows partition and got kinda screwed by the Boot Camp assistant (stuck at downloading support Windows software) and I tried many ways to get past, one of them was to delete my old Windows 7 partition. Which I now regret, cause here I am now with no Windows 8, no Windows 7, no Windows.

I will appreciate all the help I can get and if the answer is no at my simple question, I will reinstall Mac OS X aswell.

2. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Nope there is no backup unless you've manually backed it up as far as I'm aware. If you deleted something of critical impotence on that partition I'd stop using your computer and either take it to a shop or get some 3rd party tool to try and recover the partition you deleted. If there was nothing important on there I wouldn't worry much, it shouldn't be too hard to get a fresh install of windows running again.

If you're stuck on downloading support software try and check in activity monitor that bootcamp assistant has stopped downloading, it's because the media that you're trying to copy it to presumably a flash drive is not formated MS-DOS(FAT).

Windows 8 can be run on your machine I can almost guarantee it, don't be fooled by planned obsolescence.

Probably the smoothest way to get a nice working win8 partition running would be to install windows7 again using bootcamp then update windows7 to windows8 through windows and finally download the drivers off apples website while in windows8 and then run them using this trick: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17009201&postcount=527

3. antiderivative thread starter macrumors newbie

It wasn't something of critical importance, or I backed that up. Could it perhaps be that I am trying to download the Windows Support Software onto the USB with the Windows 7 installation files on it? In that case that should explain why it is formatted as NTFS. And do I need a CD nowadays, can't really figure out how to partition with Boot Camp Assistant else?