Boot Camp Repartition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ktalebian, Jan 2, 2008.

1. ktalebian macrumors regular

Hi, I have just installed Windows on my Mac using Boot Camp, now I want to resize the two drives I have. I saw on many boards that the only way to do it is either to format, and redo everything, or use the iPartition program.
    However, as this site says
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Booting_Windows_on_the_Mac
    you do not need to format anything, and Boot Camp actually allows you to do this, without losing any data! Any idea how to do it theen?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

That's an old guide, much of it was discussing either hacks or beta software. What specifically were you referring to that led you to believe you could do that?

As it stands, Boot Camp partitions cannot be resized on-the-fly through Leopard (nor through the Boot Camp Assistant), and any third-party app that does that is unsupported if your partition and/or data get whacked.

Note that the BC Assistant only allows for the creation or removal of a Windows partition.

Attached Files:

3. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so I need to basically format the Windows drive, and add that hard back to Mac, and then create another partition with a different size if I wanted to?

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you can dynamically resize partitions with disk utility. now if this applies to bootcamp i dont know but would be nice

5. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont know if it works with bootcamp but you go to disk utility then click your hd and the partition tab

lol dont hold me liable haha

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Wasn't I clear enough?

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the way i read it was no way to do it with bootcamp assistant. didnt know about not being able too with disk util and didnt know if you knew about it or not.

thanks for clearing it up though, my mistake

9. brkirch macrumors regular

The best way to resize a Boot Camp partition that I know of is to use Winclone to create an image of the Boot Camp partition, remove and recreate the Boot Camp partition using Boot Camp Assistant, and then restore the Winclone image back to the Boot Camp partition.

10. maccanuck2006 macrumors member

Easy way to do it (at least with the beta using Tiger) is to clone your windows partition using Winclone:
    http://www.twocanoes.com/winclone/
    (sort of like SuperDuper but for windows)

Note: your bootcamp partition needs to be in NTFS, NOT FAT32 to use Winclone.

After you have cloned your partition to an external HD then use the bootcamp assistant to resize the HD partition and use Winclone to reapply what you just saved.

11. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again.
    Now, I'm really new to Mac.
    So after I've cloned my partition, how do I delete it and give it back to the original Mac drive?

12. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Refer to post #2...

Start Boot Camp Assistant (/Applications/Utilities), print the instructions like it says, click next, you'll be at the screen you see in the post above. Take the first choice & follow the instructions. Pretty straightforward.