Boot Camp reset

Discussion in 'macOS' started by electrix, Mar 10, 2012.

1. electrix macrumors newbie

Hi all, having some trouble with Boot Camp today... Trying to install Windows 8, and I was apparently supposed to select that I didn't need to download the support software, which I did.

Now, every time I start up Boot Camp Assistant, it skips to the next step because it already downloaded the software. Is there any way to go back so I can select the don't need drivers option and proceed with my install?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. electrix thread starter macrumors newbie

These are the first two windows I get; i.e., I click continue on the first one and get the second one. Skipping the step that asks if I'd like to download support drivers.

Screen Shot 2012-03-10 at 9.17.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-03-10 at 9.17.54 AM.png

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The check box on the second screen should allow you to get the drivers.

Uncheck all other boxes and hit continue.

B

5. electrix thread starter macrumors newbie

So I think in order to install Windows 8, you're not supposed to download any drivers via Boot Camp. You are supposed to just select an initial option that says you "already have" or "don't need" the drivers or something to that effect.

My mistake is I already installed the drivers without knowing I wasn't supposed to. Now I can't get back to that initial screen that asks if I want to download drivers or if I have them myself. Not the screen above, which has basically already determined that I need drivers from the web and is only offering the choice of putting them on your hd or on a dvd.

I think I was unclear before.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

When you hit continue from the second screen it will not install the drivers. It will partition the drive and prepare it to boot from that.

Is there a particular guide you are trying to follow.

B

7. electrix thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It doesn't actually install the drivers after you download them via Boot Camp Assistant, you still have to initialise the installation yourself after you have installed Windows. You should be alright to just go ahead and install Windows 8 anyway.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I just checked on my MBA which does not have Windows on it at all.

It looks like the second screen you have posted has replaced the missing screen. Use it the same way. Uncheck the first two boxes and hit continue.

What screen do you see next?

B

10. electrix thread starter macrumors newbie

Leaving the third box checked and hitting continue gets me to the partition window. I select my partition and then hit "install," and that's where I get the error that the installer disc cannot be found. I just burned the installer disc so I'm assuming per the article I just posted that the reason it's not recognizing it is that I downloaded these drivers that are specific to my mac and now they are screwing up the whole process -- because my computer clearly recognizes the disk in the drive.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

W8 is not supported and will not be recognized by any version of Boot Camp Assistant.

The guide says:
    Clearly it didn't.

Add to that:
    Continue with the guide once it has booted from the install disc.

B