Boot Camp: Same computer name for both Mac OS X and Windows 7?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by slapple, Dec 9, 2012.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

While setting up Boot Camp and installing Windows 7, Windows 7 asked me for a computer name. I gave it the same name that I used in my Mac OS X Lion installation. Is it OK to use the same computer name, or should I have used a different one?

2. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

i personally wouldn't do this but there's no harm in that especially if your IP (network config) for both are the same. it matters a little bit when you have more than one machine on the network and you need to somehow communicate with each other

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Should be no problem with the same name; they are not active at the same time compared to virtual installations.
    Can have the same IP adress too.
    Just need to be careful when using from other computers like AFP shares are not active when Windows is up.

4. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, so if I were to install Parallels or VMWare Fusion, then I should use different names? I've never done that, so I don't know how it works. If you have a Windows 7 VM running inside Mac OS X, does that mean 2 computers appear on the network at the same time? If so, then I guess I would have to use different names.

5. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Yes, if you put Windows or Linux or even Mac OS into a virtual box they are visible at the same time as the host Mac. In that case they will need different IP addresses and better have different names; technically they could have even the same name but don't do it. That will be a mess.