Boot Camp Setup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tom Foolery, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

so i was fooling around with boot camp and i accidentally created a bootcamp partition. i exited the setup after and i didn't install windows. no i want to install windows but i don't know how. i tried to get back into the setup but it wouldn't let me. how do i get windows to install

thanks

2. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Launch the Boot Camp Assistant again, click continue, select "Start the Windows installer" Insert your Windows disk, and click "Start Installation"

Your computer will reboot, and should begin the Widows install process

3. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

i would but i cant get past the start introduction page. when i click continue it says it says

"The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition. The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows."

which is why i need anoher way of installing winndows on the already partitioned windows side

4. todd2000 macrumors 68000

That seems odd, are you sure it's partitioned? You can try inserting the Windows CD, and reboot while holding C. This should boot from the Windows disc, but I haven't tried it.

5. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

so i called apple and they told me i needed to reinstall from scratch. anyhow i did but now i have a few more questions before i need to go through this process again.

is it possible to resize a partition either from the windows or the mac side. i've been told by the good people at apple that it's not but they also hinted at the possibility of it using a 3rd party program

also how would i restore the hd the one single partition

and finally on a different note how do i rename my HD it's currently named untitled and i would like to change it

thanks again

6. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I somehow doubt that a re-install was necessary (or even helpful). Did it fix the problem? Can you get past the first screen in the Boot Camp Assistant and start the Windows install process?

As for resizing your partitions if you have Leopard this is built into Disk Utility, but I believe it only works with HFS+ (Mac Formatted) volumes.

To delete your Windows partition, launch the Setup assistant click Continue, select "Create or Remove a Windows partition" that should do it for ya.

7. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

no that's the thing i can't get past the first screen to install it. what i did was load my mac on my windows cd but during the installation process i f*cked things up so i did need to reinstall. but i'm just worried that something like this will happen again

8. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I don't know what you mean by "what I did was load my mac on my windows cd." Im not really sure what's going on, without seeing it for my-self. Im kind of a hands on Person, I can fix most computer problems but I have to have it in-front of me :)