boot camp slow down my mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ICutWithMacs, Jun 14, 2010.

1. ICutWithMacs macrumors member

2. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

No and even filling up your boot camp partition won't slow down the mac partition.

4. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I personally won't be using bootcamp again. I installed Windows 7 in bootcamp and it increased my boot and shut down times dramatically (in either OS). It also created lag issues in OSX for some reason. After reformatting the drive for just OSX all the problems went away.

I decided to try Windows 7/bootcamp again assuming the first time was just a bad install, and sure enough, the same problems occurred. This was all with my old 7200RPM 320GB Hitachi drive.

I now have an SSD installed and I won't be going anywhere near bootcamp again.

5. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I haven't experienced any problems, but from your situation I would say that Apple still has some serious bugs to work out with bootcamp :eek:

6. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

yes. I meant the HD as a whole.

7. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

Same thing happened to me. Boot camp slows down the OS X boot time for some reason. Maybe there is a fix to this?

8. madcat75 macrumors newbie

I agree. I have had similar problems with bootcamp.

9. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I run Windows in VirtualBox. I will upgrade to VMWare Fusion later on but this is the cheap way to do it.

10. WildGuess macrumors regular

Still lightening fast

'09 MBA, 128 ssd, bootcamp 32 gig for Win 7 Home Premium, Builders Edition. Absolutely no boot slowdown in either system.
    Six gig dsl line, pages load with a click. Could not notice any difference after using Snow Leopard for a year before the partition.

11. AdrianK macrumors 68020

What the feck is 'Builders Edition'? Some hacked ISO you found on a warez site? :p

12. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I think he means the System Builder Edition where you can only install in ONE machine

13. WildGuess macrumors regular

Amazon Warez

It's a shorter way of saying "Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit System Builder 1pk." $94.99 at Amazon. No bloatware, add what you want, not stripped down, just the best for the money if you're a Mac user and want to save $100.
    I should have said 6 meg on the DSL, not 6 gig per sec.

14. Lann macrumors member

15. davids8477 macrumors 6502

No problems here - fast boot in either system.

I also use VMWARE for when I just need a quick Windows XP program - that loads fast also.

16. RachLondon macrumors newbie

Bootcamp downloaded by accident

I ended up creating a Bootcamp partition by accident - I just clicked on the icon in my utilities folder (when I was trying to sort out another problem) and when I couldn't close the application, I just clicked on the next step and it started creating a partition. I don't think I need or want this. I don't even know what it is! Does it have any effect on how well my computer runs (Macbook Pro) and how do I get rid of it?

17. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Well at a minimum I would think it would be using up disk space, but I don't think one can accidentally install a bootcamp partition. For one thing, you'd need a copy of Windows to install. I'd recommend checking out the drive with Disk Utility and seeing what comes up.

18. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

After you set up boot camp and install windows if you have slow boot times: clear the PRAM

(start the macbook and hold alt + command + p + r BEFORE grey screen shows up and keep holding until you hear the second chime)

after that the boot speed should be back to normal.