Boot Camp Software Update 3.1 necessary if everything works fine already?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by DoctorDragonmaw, Jan 19, 2010.

1. DoctorDragonmaw macrumors newbie

Apologies if this is an inane question, but if my iMac i7 already runs Windows 7 beautifully, do I need to install the Boot Camp Software Update 3.1 for Windows 64?

My main reason for asking, the updater does not work for me. I ran it as an Admin, in various compatibility modes, and still no dice. It asks if I want to run Internet-based software, I say YES, then...nothing.

I utilized the driver workarounds when I initially installed Windows 7 to avoid the Black Screen O'Death and since then I have had zero issues.

Other than an itchy desire to want the latest versions of everything, do you my Mac Brethren believe I should just live well enough alone?

Color me flummoxed.

2. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I also had 7 running fine on my 2009 Mac Pro but it gives you support for your Magic Mouse whose scroll actually works after the update. Well worth it.

3. DoctorDragonmaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool beans. Thanks for the response.

Now to just figure out what in the hades is keeping me from updating. Best I can tell, I don't actually have any Bootcamp that this updater recognizes (since its an updater and not an installer, from what I gather).