Boot camp space

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dmoreno26, Oct 4, 2010.

1. dmoreno26 macrumors member

I made a 20 gig partition and and installed windows 7...

i installed a couple of programs like autocad sketchup and mozilla and all of a sudden my space is all gone..

what is taking up all that space? what system files can I delete that are taking up my 20 gigs?

When I installed it and looked at bootcamp the first time i only had like maybe 10 gigs or 8 gigs something like that...

any help would be greatlyyyy appreciateed.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Windows itself takes up a lot of space on the drive, as does anything autoCAD. That's where all your space is going.

3. sup3r1or macrumors regular

Honestly I do not know where people take these ideas that 20gb is enough for Windows. Its not Windows 98 back 10 years ago. System itself takes up a lot of space around 10-15 gb. Theres also a space needed for swap file (cache) which can be big also. And do not forget that if you hibernate you need the same amount of space on your HDD as your ram, so it can dump the contact of your ram onto your HDD. Honestly if you want only the system, with no software do at least 30 GB. If you have software then 80-100gb, the less space you have on system partition the slower the system becomes.

oh yeah if you want to delete system files, not recommended you will screw up the whole system and will regret it most likely when it stops working.

by the way there is a feature system restore (something like time machine in OSX) so it takes space over time:)

4. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

If you go into
    Add or Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components​
    then you may be able to remove some things you don't use. At least that's what it's called in XP. I'm not on my Win7 machine now.

sup3r1or pretty much hit the nail on the head, though.

5. Apple NZ macrumors member

Under Windows 7
    Control Panel > Programs > Turn Windows Features on or off​
    However, this does not save any hard drive space (only turns certain features off).

I suggest
    - clearing system restore files
    - removing hibernation file
    - remove mozilla stuff (use IE)

6. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

I remember some options about setting aside a percentage or amount of space for swap files and perhaps for hibernation. Disabling hibernation may help free some space. Also, you may be able to increase the size of the partition without having to start from scratch.