boot camp substitute for windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheiPhone3GS, Jul 21, 2010.

1. TheiPhone3GS macrumors newbie

not sure if this is the right place to post it but is there a substitute for boot camp on windows? i dont want vmware cuz it shows the os in a box i want it to show a full os without borders n able to partition hard drive

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Full screen mode in vmware?
    You sound like you aren't too familiar with computers.

3. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

umm, you do realize that bootcamp is simply software on the mac side to install windows right? as in, you are going to have to partition your hard drive. and it will be in full screen. you boot into either OS by restarting the computer.

4. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Do you have a Mac and want to install windows? Or do you have a windows computer and want to install Mac os?

If you want to install Mac os then google hackintosh and if you want to install windows use bootcamp.

5. TheiPhone3GS thread starter macrumors newbie

no what i mean is partition my hard drive, half for mac and half for windows. I am talking about a boot camp substitute for windows since boot camp isnt available for windows. i want to be able to have two OSes on my laptop.

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Why do you need a substitute for bootcamp? If you have a Mac, which it is not clear if you do or do not, use the bootcamp utility to partition your harddrive then during windows install format the new bootcamp partition to ntfs then install windows os.
    Again if you do not have a Mac and want to install Mac os google hackintosh.

Anyways what's the point of a substitute for bootcamp? Bootcamp is free and offically supported as well as makes it easy to run windows natively aka not in a virtual machine.

7. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

If you cannot say what computer you have, in which you are trying to do this, you should not expect much more help.

Whatever.

8. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

right click on my computer, go to device properties (i think), disk management, click on your harddrive, click shrink, type the amount of mb you need the new partition to be.

9. moel macrumors 6502

Agreed it might sound like your getting a bit of a harsh ride, but your not being very clear.

If you have a PC, and want to use Mac OS X.
    Then your largely out of luck, there is Hackintosh'ing...BUT it's illegal, it's fiddly and you VERY RARELY get full hardware compatibility. i.e your sound may work but your wifi doesn't etc etc

If you have a Mac and want to run windows, then either use Bootcamp for full speed. Or use something like virtualbox, vmware or parallels to run Windows inside OS X and set it to fullscreen. (This however isn't really appropriate for gaming)

10. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

As long as I know there is no similar program in windows that let you double boot OSX, and it's illegal. You can hackintosh, but there is no double boot, and 99% of the time things do not work properly...

11. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

If you're on a windows machine the only way to do this is to osx86 it

12. TheiPhone3GS thread starter macrumors newbie

sryy for not specifying it, im talking about doing it on a dell studio 15. is it possible to hackintosh it, then use bootcamp to create another partition?

13. TheiPhone3GS thread starter macrumors newbie

sryy for not specifying clearly, im talking about doing it on a dell studio 15. is it possible to hackintosh it, then use bootcamp to create another partition?

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

15. TheiPhone3GS thread starter macrumors newbie

lols?

16. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

if you hackintosh it, then there is no need to bootcamp it. because you will already havea windows partition in your case.

17. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

So you're able to run both OS?

18. moel macrumors 6502

Mate, no offence, but you are basically letting yourself in for a WHOLE world of pain here.

What your doing is possible, but I've tried it with a Toshiba..and unless your VERY and i mean VERY computer savvy (as in your basically a linux GOD) Then this REALLY isn't going to end well.

Your going to need to use GRUB as your bootloader and i can pretty much guarantee you won't have everything working.

19. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

it's difficult for laptops to meet the specs to run OS X, certain netbooks like that one from Dell run it fine

an easier solution is to run it through VMware with a cracked version of OS X which is also illegal and a pain. Don't bother.

20. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

21. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

just wow.

The BEST thing you can do and I havn't done this before, but the best way to go about your situation is that if you can even install OS X on your chipset, use the charmelon bootloader and create...man I don't even know. There are instructions that i've seen and on some chipsets it's REALLY easy and on some chipsets it's REALLY hard. I could whip up a quad boot machine in seconds but this is on a desktop with a gigabyte motherboard which means really easy hackintoshing.

Talk to the folks over on the insanelymac OSX86 forum. They'll fix you up.

22. TheiPhone3GS thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so i guess other then apple pcs and laptops, mac os x aint suitable so thx for the info

23. outphase macrumors 65816

It's possible to get OSX on non-Apple hardware. It just doesn't seem like you're one who would be able to do it.