Boot Camp Summer Time Errors

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dubhe, Apr 3, 2008.

1. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Sorry if this is in another thread, I did a quick search but don't have time to try harder...

Whenever I boot in windows then come back to OS X my clock has added on two hours, this is only since summer time started (last weekend). Anybody else experiencing this?

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

When I saw this post I was unable to use Boot Camp, so I had held out on replying.

Now I have done it and the clock jumped ahead one hour.

Oddly, it corrected itself during the time I wrote this post (presumably it used the online service).

I guess it's a discrepancy between how Windows and Mac OS X report the time.

3. bstreiff macrumors regular

OS X treats the system time as being GMT, then translates as appropriate inside the operating system to get to local time (or whatever timezone you want).

Windows treats the system time as being local time. (It's a holdover from the days of DOS, when there was only ever one user and no network to worry about. Honestly, I know of no other currently-used operating system that does this.)

The Boot Camp drivers contain a program (AppleTimeService, I think?) that tries to reset the time as appropriate, but I've found that it doesn't always work all of the time. I just got used to the time being wrong in Windows.

4. dubhe thread starter macrumors 65816

dubhe

My concern is that I work abroad with not network/internet for months at a time and therefore my computer will not be able to update time automatically. Yet I will be switching from XP to OSX every day. Maybe I should just run in GMT with a one hour manual time error... Or can I? As OSX will know it is summer time by the date :-(