Boot Camp Support for Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dirtyharry50, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Has Apple published anywhere yet what Macs are going to be supported with updated bootcamp drivers for Windows 10?

I ask this because once upon a not so long ago, I had a mid-2011 27" iMac where Windows 7 was supported but if I recall correctly, they did not update drivers for that system to support installing Windows 8/8.1

This leads me to wonder if my late-2013 iMac will be supported with bootcamp drivers for Windows 10. I think they only go back so far with creating driver updates whenever a new version of Windows comes out so does anyone here know if they have made any announcement as to what models will get Windows 10 driver support in a bootcamp update?

Considering Windows 7 is putting up a prompt to allow it to automatically download and upgrade when it becomes available (Windows 10) it would not be good to allow this if it turns out there isn't going to be driver support for my model iMac.

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

I think, you can go online and search if there is any PC model with the very similar hardware configuration, and check if this configuration supports Windows 10. Typically, if Windows 8/8.1 supports your Mac, Windows 10 is OK.

Or, if applicable, you can try to install Windows 10 on your Mac using BC, and you may know all you want to know.

3. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

I believe that for the most part 10 is compatible with 8 drivers but also has many newer drivers built in for nearly all hardware. If it defects hardware it doesn't have drives for then it asks if you want to download them via System Update.

4. Dirtyharry50 thread starter macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Okay, so basically for whatever reasons people are getting away without updated drivers from Apple but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any published information yet as to what models they are going to officially support with an update to bootcamp (presumably) once Windows 10 formally releases to retail.

So, I'll just have to wait and see. It isn't a big deal here but I was curious which models they'll be releasing Windows 10 specific drivers for.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I predict that any Macs that are still sold by Apple or as refurbished models will receive updated software. A good example is the mid-2012 classic MacBook Pro. While it is going on three years old, Apple still sells the model and will likely receive full Windows 10 support in time.

6. Zakzilla macrumors member

Zakzilla

Has anyone successfully installed Windows 10 on their Mac via Bootcamp? I was hoping to grab the free update today, but I'm nervous about drivers etc, I don't think Bootcamp officially supports it yet

7. BlackoutMediaNetwork macrumors newbie

I know the 2013 nMP is not supported as far as drivers for video cards go but My buddies with iMacs haven't mentioned any issues.

8. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

I know there are a few posts on this, but I have an unusual situation.

I have a 2010 Mac Pro with a standard PC graphics card (EVGA NVIDIA GTX 980).

ALL I need from the Bootcamp suite, is ONLY the control panel, so I can switch to OS X from within Windows (since I do not get the white boot screen with a standard video card and my wireless keyboard cannot work during boot).

BTW, Windows 10 was able to find all the appropriate drivers for everything I needed. So I do not need anything else, other than the control panel to switch OS and disks.

Is this possible? I was able to browse the Bootcamp download, which included several installer files for specific hardware. I was not able to find just the control panel though.

9. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

I remember you can only install boot camp client without installing all support drivers. Maybe I am wrong.

There should be a simple msi file for this work.

10. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

I didn't see one on the list. Does it have a weird name?

11. sketchguy macrumors member

sketchguy

I have just successfully upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro on BootCamp. It took a few tries, as I didn't get the Windows icon in the taskbar, so I had to download the Create Media option and saved to a USB stick.

A few things - my magic mouse touch features don't seem to be working (can't scroll through windows sliding my finger up and down) and my Cintiq 21UX is not being detected as a 2nd monitor. Would be nice to know if/when Apple plans on updating the Bootcamp drivers. Otherwise, I'm just starting to explore the new features, and it's WAY nicer than 8.1 ever was.

12. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

It should have the name BootCamp.msi, under Drivers folder, and Apple folder.

13. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

I was thinking about running that one, wouldn't that install everything though?

14. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

This one should only take care of boot camp itself, while setup.exe will surely bring everything into your machine.

15. Zakzilla macrumors member

Zakzilla

Thanks for the update, that's helpful to know. Sounds like official support for Boot Camp is on the way in El Capitan, but for now there will be pieces broken.

16. Tomkins! macrumors member

I had it installed for a few days.
    I upgraded it from Windows 7 using Microsoft's Download Tool. After the upgrade my keyboard drivers and bluetooth didn't work, I re-installed those specific drivers, which fixed the keyboard but not bluetooth. The solution: reset Windows 10, then run the boot camp driver setup. After that was done, everything worked perfectly.

This was done on a 2014 Retina MacBook Pro 15" with Intel Iris Pro Graphics.