Boot camp support windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by StUPoT, Feb 24, 2013.

1. StUPoT macrumors member

Hi I have a copy of windows 8 that I'm trying to put on my Mbp but after going through boot camp and all the partioning... It restarts to install windows but get held up on a black screen with a blinking underscore in the top left?

Now from watching various youtube videos I understand it is meant to start loading files here but it does nothing.

Am I doing something wrong or does boot camp 5.0.0 not support windows 8 yet?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This usually happens if you tell your Mac to boot into Windows but, for whatever reason, it can't find the Windows boot media. This is fixable: If this is happening to you, hold down the Alt/Option key after rebooting. This brings up the boot manager. Select your Windows boot media. Continue with setting up Boot Camp. (Yes, Windows 8 works. It's just not officially supported yet. The drivers for Windows 7 work just fine.)

3. StUPoT thread starter macrumors member

4. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Full Windows 8 support is coming with update 10.8.3. But as wrldwzrd89 stated, Windows 7 drivers work fine.

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

What does "full" support mean? Are the trackpad drivers rewritten to accommodate more gestures or did they just modify the boot camp installer to recognize a Win8 installation now? (But same drivers as Windows 7).

6. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

The feature list on this page lists bootcamp support for windows 8. I am unsure as to the state of the trackpad drivers with the 10.8.3 release but I would assume the will be updated to take advantage of the windows 8 gestures.

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Oh no... you used the "A" word. :(

8. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

I have an old work colleague who is a developer, I have just dropped him an email asking wether he is running 10.8.3 and what the state of multi touch is.

Hopefully he has Windows 8 running by now. I will post a reply soon as he gets back in touch.

9. LastMinuteMike macrumors member

It would make absolutely no sense for Apple to gimp the functionality and omit gesture support - especially when it's been 4+ months since the Windows 8 release.

However, Apple honestly is a really ****** company in some areas, they just don't give a crap. So I would be more surprised to discover that gesture support was included than if they had left it out...

But let's cross our fingers and hope that the biggest, richest tech company in the world will be able to pull it off!

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Actually, Apple has every reason NOT to make Windows work elegantly on their machines. (If you think about it).

11. LastMinuteMike macrumors member

A lot of people but Macs only to use them with Windows. If Apple made Windows a first class citizen on the Mac, more people would be inclined to buy Macs instead of PCs :)

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I'm sure these people exist but I've never met one. Besides, macs are not Apple's bread and butter.

Apple has no interest in these people. They want you to also buy iPhones and iPads. OSX these days is just part of an integrated plan to get you to buy every Apple device and join the Apple ecosystem lock, stock and barrel.

It's really that simple.

13. LastMinuteMike macrumors member

I know, but it's not like Apple sell their computers at a loss, right? ;)

14. printz, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013

printz macrumors regular

Finally! It was stupid to keep running Windows 7 and miss on all the cool stuff from Windows 8. Isn't Windows 8 cited to consume less power than 7? Very fitting for a laptop. Also, I'm glad the Aero Glass (and Windows Basic) themes are gone, they looked tacky; the new desktop theme focuses more on content and makes the WinXP-age apps look consistent with the Win7-age apps (if you look through Windows 7, you'll see how some apps sport flat beige menu bars, others have gradient blue ones…). It also seems more compatible with old stuff as it no longer has the problems that used to plague old video games, with regards to palette mess-up!

I hope someone will volunteer to create some trackpad driver for Windows 8:Mac, if Apple don't do it. I tried Trackpad++ on Windows 7 but uninstalled it, because it wasn't smooth at all (probably due to Windows being designed for step mousewheels, a common problem with using non-OSX apps on Mac) and had a very ugly control panel interface. It also kept giving me idle warnings when I was running Windows 7 Bootcamp partition under Parallels.

How does Windows 8 start screen scale on HiDPI mode?