Boot camp troubles - any advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rodh257, May 2, 2011.

1. rodh257 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Here's a little back story about my setup, you can probably skip if you don't want to read it:
    -----
    I recently bought my first macbook pro, 13" 2011 model. I'm a windows developer so I needed to run windows on it, so what I did was put an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD in the optibay and installed windows on it, and cloned my OSX from the 5400RPM drive that comes with the macbook onto a new 500gb 7200RPM drive. So I have two separate drives for the two separate operating systems.

I had all sorts of trouble setting this up, because the 2011 MBP's don't boot from USB, I had to take my SSD out of the optibay and replace the DVD Drive, put the SSD in the main bay, install windows then swap it back.

-----

It mostly worked though, I could swap between the OS's using bootcamp, or reefit - both worked. However last week all of a sudden I just couldn't boot into windows, I got a black screen with a blinking cursor. As this is my work PC, and my superdrive was at home, I couldn't boot from a windows disk to do a startup recovery. I wasted a day trying to workout how I could repair this from within OSX, mostly screwing around with vmware/parallels to try get it to run a repair from a windows disk to no avail. I went home, swapped the drives again, and ran the repair.

However now my boot camp won't work, I have to use reefit to open up windows when I want to boot. Occasionally it just won't boot from reefit at all either. I tried going into boot camp assistant but there is no way to repair the boot camp partition without wiping the drive, which is a pain.

On top of this, I've got a number of other problems:
    - Windows on my SSD won't hibernate or sleep without crashing windows. Is this normal? is there a way to fix this?
    - I now can't set it to boot into windows by default.
    - On some networks (ie at uni) when I swap from mac to windows, it wont let me join the wifi network, I'm guessing this has to do with mac addresses and security? Has anyone else come across this issue?
    - battery life is pretty average on both operating systems, more so on windows, is there any enhancements to windows other than what you would normally do on a laptop?

I really need to get a reliable system setup, I can't afford to go into work and have my laptop not boot into windows. Can anyone give me some advice? Should I try taking an image of windows and setting up the boot camp partitions again on the SSD? Or perhaps I need to just shell out for a 256gb SSD and put both windows and osx on that...

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

I've noticed that these now don't work with USB DVD drives for the Bootcamp thing. Like you said this is a REAL drag for the Optibay crowd.

But as far as your MS issues go, try using Winclone to make an image of Bootcamp and experiment. Sometimes these things can be inexpicable.

3. rodh257 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, yeah the USB drive thing is really crap, makes simple things such a pain! I'll give WinClone a go and see what I can come up with :D