Boot Camp Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Howard54, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Howard54 macrumors member

I want to install Windows 7 64 bit on my mini with 4gb ram. I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.5 and Boot Camp Assistant 3.0.1 is installed. I have also installed a trial of Parallels 6. I have run into a few problems:

Windows 7 needs an updated Boot Camp Assistant. The 3.2 upgrade says it requires 3.1, so I was going to update to 3.1 first, then to 3.2. I downloaded 3.1 but it is an .exe file not a dmg file. When I tried to install it, Parallels took over and tried to install it in the virtual machine. Can someone please tell me how to install the upgrade.

Do I need to uninstall or quit Parallels first?

How does one install an .exe file on a Mac?

Thanks.

2. celticpride678

3. Howard54 thread starter macrumors member

But if you need Boot Camp 3.1 to install Windows 7, as per the Apple website, then how do I install it first?

Windows 7 will not install with the current Boot Camp 3.0.1 version I have installed. I am surprised that Boot Camp is not upgraded via the normal software update process from Apple.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Boot Camp Assistant is upgraded on the OS X side with the regular OS X updates, so if you are at 10.6.5 you should have the latest. Can you tell us where exactly it breaks and what the exact error message is? Refer to the guide if neccessary: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup_10.6.pdf

Apple has their own Software upgrade process in Windows using Apple Software Update for the drivers. Anything delivered as an EXE needs to be run when already booted to Windows installed in a Boot Camp partition (or in a VM to provide additional hardware support).

It sure would be nice if that was all you needed to install and it would go get the appropriate drivers from there...

B

5. Howard54 thread starter macrumors member

I started Boot Camp Assistant (which still says version 3.0.1), partitioned the hard drive with a 32gb partion for windows, and inserted the Windows 7 Home Premium disc. I don't remember the exact wording of the error message but essentially it said that Boot Camp could not find the Windows 7 disc.

I ran the Mac software update utility and it says that everything is up to date, so I am not sure why I still have Boot Camp version 3.0.1.

Since I posted my original question thsi morning, I noticed that Boot Camp formatted the partition as FAT32 and not NTFS. Could this be the problem? How do I specify to Boot Camp to partion the drive as NTFS?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Boot Camp Assistant is only a part of Boot Camp. The Boot Camp 3.2 update is just the drivers portion not the Assistant or the Firmware components which are also part of Boot Camp. Many of us had W7 working fine well before the updates.

Read the PDF guide I posted. FAT32 is normal.

If BCA doesn't "like" your disc you can still proceed manually. Reboot you Mac holding Alt/Option, select the CD when the boot menu comes up. Continue with the guide, holding Alt/Option at every reboot to boot to the Windows partition.

B

7. nsx23 macrumors member

FYI, Bootcamp 3.2 messed up my trackpad, and I had to uninstall the "Apple multitouch" driver before it started working properly again.