Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you stay logged into Windows or OSX more?

• Windows

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • OSX

Votes: 53 93.0%

• Total voters

24usedtorock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2009
I realized today it's been weeks since I've booted into OSX. I even default boot to Windows 7.

I still wouldn't want to run a Windows laptop because I enjoy the build quality, portability of the machine (15'' MBP), but I'm afraid to admit I seem to enjoy Windows 7 more than Snow Leopard.

Am I alone? :confused:

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
I only use Windows 7 for one school program, Mastercam...maybe Solidworks, getting pretty rusty with that program though. So im in OS X 99% of the time.

jcrMBP

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
Central Florida
I'm in XP Pro 95% of the time. I love OSX and have been a MAC guy for a long long time. My work requires many apps that only run in Windows unfortunately. My MacBook Pro is still the best laptop on the market. I get a lot of people asking me about it in factories all over the country.

Sig is outdated. I have an iPhone 4 now and the latest 17" MacBook Pro with the i7 Processor and 8 GB of RAM. I've been using MacBook Pros for three and a half years now with no problems. I have been in factories all over the US, Canada and Mexico. It's a very rugged platform!

size100

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
Aren't we more prone to viruses with Windows 7?

Never got a virus with windows in 10+ years. If you are prone to clicking links and opening random programs people on the internet want you to open, then you might want to stop that.

Use common sense and you will be perfectly fine as long as you somewhat know how to use a computer. It is not as kid friendly, as there are many more people trying to attack it. Even playing field(if they both came out at the same time and had the same popularity), and ignorant person for ignorant person, they would have the same amount of viruses if not more for OSX.

Last edited:

jackajesusfreak

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2009
Never got a virus with windows in 10+ years. If you are prone to clicking links and opening random programs people on the internet want you to open, then you might want to stop that.

Use common sense and you will be perfectly fine as long as you somewhat know how to use a computer.

Do you run an AV program on Windows? I'm still trying to decide if I would use it enough to justify the hundred bucks. I have a netbook with Windows 7 on it, and my desktop has XP.

STxMacUser

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
I just installed Windows 7 in Bootcamp (what a PITA) and will be using Windows only for work related items in which Citrix login is required. I stay in OSX 99% of the time...I like the stability of Mac software MUCH more than Windows. Pro Tools even seems to run smoother in the Mac environment.

size100

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
Do you run an AV program on Windows? I'm still trying to decide if I would use it enough to justify the hundred bucks. I have a netbook with Windows 7 on it, and my desktop has XP.

Recently...... Windows 7 with windows firewall and windows defender. Most AV programs are way too intrusive. Most viruses come because of leaks in programs or 10x more frequently clicking an obvious virus. On par with jumping into a fire and getting burned.

I will be using mostly OSX because of slightly better battery life. Switching to Windows 7 once and a while for certain programs. Really not to much hatred either way. Small annoyances with OSX, but not enough to make me care.

Last edited:

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
I dont use AV and never have unless I know I have a virus and the only time I got a virus was when I was playing around on Limewire and the antivirus didnt remove it anyway so I just restored back about 3 days and all was fine(this wasnt on my MBP on bootcamp).

applepearpp

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2010
you buy a mbp to use mac, not windows.
plus, mac's user interface is much better. i feel like i have to use a mouse in windows because of all the clicking and moving around, while in mac i can just leave my hand on the keyboard and trackpad and it's all good.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I realized today it's been weeks since I've booted into OSX. I even default boot to Windows 7.

I still wouldn't want to run a Windows laptop because I enjoy the build quality,
This is exactly why I bought a macbook... the build quality plus it runs windows.

If I could figure out a way to reverse the cmd/alt key on the mac so the cmd key works exactly like the alt key in windows I'd actually consider dumping OSX all together.

Note: I can remap them but in windows I can't get "two-key" combinations to without first releasing the CMD key. (i.e. Cmd+X to exit a windows app doesn't work, I have press each key individually).

Of course the Ribbon in Windows Office pisses me off so why should I even bother...

you buy a mbp to use mac, not windows.
plus, mac's user interface is much better. i feel like i have to use a mouse in windows because of all the clicking and moving around,

Are you serious? OSX is so mouse happy it's ridiculous. Windows has an Alt key combination for everything.

while in mac i can just leave my hand on the keyboard and trackpad and it's all good.

A trackpad *is* a mouse. :D I'd rather push keys any day of the week rather than aim, point and fire a mouse arrow.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
OS X and it's not even close. I installed Windows 7 just in case I would have to use it in college, but that hasn't come up yet. I only log in to Windows to play Roller Coaster Tycoon. :D

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
I stay in Windows for work as many of my programs can't be run on OSX. For web surfing, email, movies, etc. I stay in OSX.

Best of both worlds!

sydenham

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010

Use common sense and you will be perfectly fine as long as you somewhat know how to use a computer. It is not as kid friendly, as there are many more people trying to attack it. Even playing field(if they both came out at the same time and had the same popularity), and ignorant person for ignorant person, they would have the same amount of viruses if not more for OSX.

10 years on windows and no virus? Wrong. Level playing field or not, OSX has been out for 10 years and still no viruses.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
I had my HDD partitioned for XP and having VM (or whatever it is); having not used Windows in over 5 months, my new hard drive has nothing on it for running Widows as having it is kind of lost space at this point. I used to use it as some programs I used were not OSX compatible, but that's changed and so Windows are something I look out of in my office and wonder what it is like to stand in the sun and not under fluorescent tubes.

I have an office desktop with Windows and they issue a laptop which is Windows as well; I haven't used either in so long I honestly do not know what version of Windows is on them. Oddly enough, when I got my MBP I liked the hardware design and figured I'd Windows almost all the time, but I took such a liking to SL that it was the exact opposite.

10 years on windows and no virus? Wrong. Level playing field or not, OSX has been out for 10 years and still no viruses.

I know people who have ran Windows for years without virus software and have not had issues. Obviously, compromised websites, emails, links, and Rick Rolling are the usual culprits and so avoiding them reduces your odds of viruses considerably.

Most anti-adware programs also frequently identify files that have no harm and are for the user's convenience, but identifying them as spyware makes the program look more efficient.

Mac users often state the lack of viruses as such an advantage and it makes me wonder what websites they are visiting to be so worried about them? Most people here also know how to avoid viruses so they probably go longer clean-intervals than a basic user.

Last edited:

size100

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010

There have been many average or below average PC users that have avoided viruses for a very long time. There are many people that can't avoid getting viruses. They should switch to OSX.
I think there is a large mis-understanding going around. OSX is not a more secure OS. Its a very very low priority target. Its not about how long an operating system has been out. It is about the amount of users and the amount of software. You can have an OS out for 100 years, be half as secure as windows.

There are actually people that think OSX is immune to viruses or impossible to tamper with by hackers. There are way too many OSX users or fans that have very little knowledge on the subject, but can't help repeating that OSX is super secure because its based on an operating system they have very little knowledge of and windows is ridden with viruses no matter what you do. The simple fact is that if you know how to use a computer windows 7 will be fine. You will be more targeted. It is not less secure then OSX. I think most people, who know what they are talking about, would agree that OSX is actually less secure than windows 7. But, its very easy to target windows 7 due to the variety of software and amount users.

sydenham

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
There have been many average or below average PC users that have avoided viruses for a very long time. There are many people that can't avoid getting viruses. They should switch to OSX.
I think there is a large mis-understanding going around. OSX is not a more secure OS. Its a very very low priority target. Its not about how long an operating system has been out. It is about the amount of users and the amount of software. You can have an OS out for 100 years, be half as secure as windows.

There are way too many OSX users or fans that have very little knowledge on the subject, but can't help repeating that OSX is super secure because its based on an operating system they have very little knowledge of and windows is ridden with viruses no matter what you do. The simple fact is that if you know how to use a computer windows 7 will be fine. You will be more targeted. It is not less secure then OSX. I think most people, who know what they are talking about, would agree that OSX is actually less secure than windows 7. But, its very easy to target windows 7 due to the variety of software and amount users.

Yes and there are many Windows users who know even less on the subject. And these same Windows users always say the same thing and that is because less people are using OSX there are no viruses. OSX is a more secure OS, it seems to be you who has the misunderstanding.

size100

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
Yes and there are many Windows users who know even less on the subject. And these same Windows users always say the same thing and that is because less people are using OSX there are no viruses. OSX is a more secure OS, it seems to be you who has the misunderstanding.

OSX has had its share of highly critical bugs and exploits over the years. And not just one or two and they last a considerable amount of time before they are fixed. There are keyloggers there is malicious software. It is not a more secure OS. It is a less targeted OS. In recent years it has been easier to gain access and create problems on OSX. They spend far less money on security and are slow to respond. There is nothing in OSX that makes it immune.

Last edited:

sydenham

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
OSX has had its share of highly critical bugs and exploits over the years. And not just one or two and they last a considerable amount of time before they are fixed. It is not a more secure OS.

What highly critical bugs and exploits are you talking about? Or are you just making this up as you go along. Don't you think some little hacker out there would want to get famous bringing the famous OSX down? It is a more secure OS but if you want to kid yourself by thinking otherwise than be my guest.

size100

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
What highly critical bugs and exploits are you talking about?

This just proves you do not know what you are talking about. You were unaware there have been exploit on OSX. This is not secret underground hacker news. I think you need to take a step back and discontinue arguing for the sake of arguing.

I am not trying to bring OSX down. You have not even heard about exploits to OSX. That is how little effect they have had on the average community. I would never cause harm to any ones computer.

Being a minority and having more limited 3rd party software is going to give apple a step up for a long time. On the windows side, limiting 3rd party software, updating/patching and using common sense will go a long way.

Last edited:

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
I only use Windows 7 when playing certain Steam games w/ friends online or using certain programs for school. Otherwise, OS X all day long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.