Boot Camp: Verification Failed? Disk utility not helping. Please Help!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Silverbird0000, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to install boot camp on my iMac 20" C2D and when trying to partition it says verification failed, this disk could not be partitioned, use disk utility to repair this disk. So I did that both in OSX disk utility and from the start up disk. But boot camp is still saying the same thing. Why? Can anyone please help? Thanks.

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

1. Is there enough space on the disc for the size partition it's trying to create?

if so, and you have an external HDD, clone your boot disc to the external, erase boot disc, partition it, boot from cloned external disc, clone back to internal and try again.

Best I've got, sorry it's not something simple.

Also, did you repair the disc and the permissions? or just the disc? If just the disc, then repair the permissions as well, and try again first.

Brian

3. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I repaired the disk and permissions. I don't have an external drive and I do have enough space on my main HD for the partition.

4. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, I guess I was just repairing the permissions, not the disk! I did now and it worked! But I was using a burned copy of windows, and it's not working. It is a burned copy of my own disk, but the original doesn't work. Can I use the burned one?

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

That I don't know, I know that it's not hard to make a video game so that it's difficult to copy, so an OS may be the same, especially Microsoft.

You might just rebutn it if you have the image, and use a slower burn speed. If it still doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

Sorry,

Brian

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Is your own disc an official copy? And, is it Windows XP SP2? Earlier versions will not work.

7. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Original was an official copy, but I made a burned copy cause it was getting scratched up, and I have not used it till now. But boot camp won't recognize it. I'm pretty sure it was SP2.

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Hmm, well it's functionality hinges on how you burned it. To make a working copy of a bootable CD has to be done a certain way, otherwise you just end up with a CD that has the same files but can't boot. That might be your problem.

9. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, that is probably it. Thanks. I'll have to find someone with another copy. I just need it for a few little things, I will hardly ever use windows, so I don't want to go out and buy a full copy.

10. danembraceddc macrumors newbie

I found the only way to fix this is boot into Single User Mode (hold Cmd + S at boot) and then type fsck -f and let it run. If you get a message at the end that say VOLUME HAS BEEN MODIFIED or something like that, run fsck -f again and with any luck the problem will be fixed. Also keep in mind if you're using Leopard that I kept running into problems that I can only attribute to the Boot Camp Assistant borking the FAT32 partition (I figured this out after three install attempts early this morning). Once you get to the windows install screen have it reformat your boot camp partition to either NTFS or FAT32. You should be golden now.

11. mayankg84 macrumors newbie

I uninstalled Vista using Bootcamp and tried to install XP after that. But it was throwing this problem. I used the solution of fsck -f ..It worked.No need to setup all the things again..Just try it.