Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I installed Vista Ultimate on my iMac and everything worked fine, installation-wise. when I rebooted to log in, BIOS code came up saying something about partition 80 being a non-Windows format (even though it agreed that it was NTFS). I put my installer disk back in to repair, but it said that the repair software wasn't compatible with "this version of Windows" (typical Microtard faggotry). So I decided to just get rid of the partition and start over (it's not such a big deal)... Well, since I'd been hard-restarting to get back and forth from Brokenista, the disk, and OS X, the Boot Camp partition didn't show up on the desktop of OS X. Consequently, Boot Camp Assistant now hangs when restoring to only OS X and (I haven't waited very long) doesn't finish.

The partition shows up in Disk Utility with the white folder icon. I'm wondering if I should just erase it from there.

What should I do, everyone? I'm in a bit of a bind...

Update: I tried erasing it from Disk Utility, but it wouldn't let me, as it couldn't be unmounted. What does that mean, how do I unmount it, and how can I get rid of it so that I can start over?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Okay, new problem. (Got that ^ to work) Now when I boot into Vista, everything goes fine (I was able to USE it this morning and yesterday) until I get to my desktop for the first time. I get around seven seconds and the fricking thing restarts for no reason. Why?

XianPalin

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Might be blue screening. By default I think Windows will autoreboot on a bluescreen. There is normally a setting somewhere to disable automatic rebooting upon an error happening, i.e. if it blue screens you will just see the bluescreen and have to manually restart instead of the computer just instantly restarting.

Of course, you have about 7 seconds to find this setting and change it :D I'd try safe mode and see if that keeps you around long enough to change this setting. Unfortunately I'm not sure where it is in Vista.. in XP it's on a Advanced tab or button regarding Error handling, after you right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Hope that helps a little.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Might be blue screening. By default I think Windows will autoreboot on a bluescreen. There is normally a setting somewhere to disable automatic rebooting upon an error happening, i.e. if it blue screens you will just see the bluescreen and have to manually restart instead of the computer just instantly restarting.

Of course, you have about 7 seconds to find this setting and change it :D I'd try safe mode and see if that keeps you around long enough to change this setting. Unfortunately I'm not sure where it is in Vista.. in XP it's on a Advanced tab or button regarding Error handling, after you right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Hope that helps a little.

I'll bet Safe Mode would work, but... that still doesn't solve the problem of it actually blue screening every time I boot, anyway. Seriously, I booted into it one before today and twice yesterday and it was fine. This is exactly what happened the last time I had it on my Mac (although it was fine for months then) and the reason I reinstalled in the first place. I may just go with my copy of XP, if Vista continues to be frigtarded... but I want Vista! It's the lesser of the two evils, as it's the reason many people have switched!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.