Boot Camp vs Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by fjs08, Mar 13, 2012.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

I'd like some clarification if possible.

If you use Parallels, do you HAVE to boot up both OSX and Windows Whatever??

If you use Boot Camp, do you have the choice to boot up either one or the other??????
    In Boot Camp, If you want to use Windows Whatever for a specific application, do you HAVE to boot up OSX first then somehow "switch" over to Boot Camp.

Point is I've been wanting to add Windows 7 to my MBP for work and for a few computer baseball games like Strat, etc. anyway, ALL my friends are telling me that duel boot OS's are a disaster and you never get a "really good" Windows experience. These are both Mac and Windows users.

What's the experience and thoughts here.
    Thx.
    Frank

2. simsaladimbamba

Booting Windows on the Mac

You can easily select which OS to boot from via holding down the OPTION/Alt key after the startup sound. No need to boot into Mac OS X first.
    And if you have the correct drivers, Windows will actually run pretty well via Boot Camp, depending on what MBP you have and what drivers. There are some problems with the trackpad and the multi touch gestures as far as I can remember.*
    And if you want to play games, Boot Camp is the better option, due to Windows having access to all available resources. When Windows is run via Parallels or any other virtualisation software, Windows does not have that access due to sharing the resources with Mac OS X and the additional layer of Mac OS X and Parallels between Windows and hardware.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>Windows will actually run pretty well via Boot Camp, depending on what MBP you have and what drivers<,

Thx. I appreciate your response.
    I'm actually kinda waiting on a 14" or 15" MacBook (Air/Pro), whichever Apple comes out with in the "near" future. Guess it will be the latest and greatest w Ivy Bridge, etc, etc.

Thx again.

Frank

4. simsaladimbamba

Then one does not know, how good the Apple Windows drivers are yet, but if they give you flak, you could hunt for better Windows drivers for the same hardware and use them.

5. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:<,

Did but really didn't find what I was looking for.
    Thx.
    Frank

6. simsaladimbamba

What search terms and parameters did you use?

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Probably "help" and "me." :)

Personally, I find Parallels much easier to use, but I don't run games on Windows (I'd rather play off my Xbox).

8. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>Probably "help" and "me." <<

No.. Boot Camp and Parallels.

>>Personally, I find Parallels much easier to use, but I don't run games on Windows<<

Stuff I would run is older.. actually not xbox type stuff.

Frank

9. simsaladimbamba

WHat stuff then?
    I was able to run some old C&C on my 2007 iMac with a C2D 2 GHz CPU via VMWare Fusion. It was not the best experience, but it was workable. If your games are similar, a more modern Mac will probably have not problems with running those older games in a VM though.

10. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Strat O Matic baseball
    Baseball for Windows
    Diamond Mind baseball. Used to b Pursue the Pennant.

Some of my job stuff will actually only run on IE on Windows
    Frank

11. simsaladimbamba

Maybe look up the specs for those games, and for IE, a VM is better suited for that, as it can run while you use Mac OS X.

12. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

Just keep in mind that with a VM you will only be using half of your CPUs and half of your RAM for the VM.

I personally have not had any issue with anything running in the VM, I use very large excel workbooks and stuff but do not play games at all.