Boot Camp vs VMware vs Paralells?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jgw1283, Sep 19, 2007.

1. jgw1283 macrumors regular

jgw1283

I want a new imac and I plan on messing around with Windows a bit and was wondering what you all think is the best method to run windows on mac? thanks!

2. esaleris macrumors 6502

How about VMWare AND Boot Camp. You can use VMware to virtual machine your installed Boot Camp. I'm not sure if parallels does this. It works well for me!

3. alljunks macrumors regular

after using VMare and bootcamp...

i like bootcamp more!!!

4. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

5. richardson.hila macrumors member

I've had no problems with BootCamp, and i like that it's free :)
    The only down side is if you are impatient, some people don't like to do the whole restart thing to get into Windows, in which case Parallels might be good for you. But you have to pay...so for a less money, and a tiny bit more of your time, i'd go BootCamp. (Haven't tried VMware before sorry)

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

VMware and/or Boot Camp. If you only need virtualization, then just VMware. In any case, VMware is a superior product to Parallels Desktop.

7. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

An alternative

If you know what apps you want to run you might also consider checking out CodeWeaver's CrossOver. It is great if your app is supported by their wine-based software but it is not extremely flexible and certainly not a full-on windows environment.