Boot Camp VS VMware

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trev, Nov 26, 2007.

1. trev macrumors 6502

I'm not seeing much of a difference. I was under the impression that VMware just opens a windows program on my mac... almost making it look like the program ran on OSX... however, I started to install and it's asking for my windows xp installation disk... is this just so it has the info to run the program or does it simply give another way to run windows?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You are fundamentally misunderstanding VMware. VMware is a virtualisation environment. It allows you to run a full copy of Windows whilst still running OSX by presenting Windows with a virtual PC to run in. VMware does not, on it's own, allow you to run Windows programs or alter their appearance in anyway. BootCamp on the otherhand allows you to reboot into Windows without OSX running.

3. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

so basically, once I install FMware then I can run windows in a new "window" which is in osx rather than rebooting in xp? If I'm right, then I have another question. Can I see the real drive from the virtual drive and vice versa? i.e. how easy is it to share files?

4. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Pretty much correct.

It's pretty easy to share files. More an issue of drag + drop or just have the files on OSX anyway.

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

VM Ware and Parallels run Windows pretty fast, but be aware that there are some things, mainly programs that use DirectX (3D games) that they just won't do. In that case, you do have the option of running Windows via Boot Camp, in which case those things will run just as if it were on a PC.

6. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm... how about CAD software... how do you think they'll run?

7. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Also awful since some CAD programs need as much RAM and CPU as possible.

And if they are in 3d you're better off bootcamping.

8. Hmac macrumors 68020

I don't know about CAD. I do use Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0 for video editing and run it via Parallels.