Boot Camp: Wait for Leopard? Go ahead with Beta?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kevinoneill, Jun 24, 2007.

1. kevinoneill macrumors newbie

I will be purchasing a 2nd internal HD for my mac pro soon to install XP on.

What are your thoughts on waiting for the finished version of Leopard/Boot Camp or going ahead using the Beta?

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Go ahead with the current beta of Boot Camp.

Just be aware that the driver installer sucks. It's much better than how it used to be, but it still has problems. Windows doesn't like so many drivers being installed at once, and often refuses to start after you restart, forcing you to hard reboot your machine. This only happens once, right after you finish installing all the drivers. After that, Windows will run fine.

Other than that, Windows is Windows, there's nothing "beta" about it... if you know what I mean ;)

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I've seen so many people mention driver isssues but I've never seen any of that on our Macs.

The only issue I have is the lack of bluetooth in my MB laptop's bootcamp. I assume its because I let Parallels share the bootcamp partition since my daughter's MacPro does not have that issue and has never had a driver issue.

Cheers,

4. kevinoneill thread starter macrumors newbie

I jus installed the WD HD, it says it does not recognize the HD, and asks me to ignore, eject, or initialize. I let it sit for a moment cleaning up packages the HD came in. And it just went away, so I assume that means "ignore"

Should I initialize it? or just wait to see what Bootcamp says to do? if anything?

5. Gandhi macrumors regular

I have not had any problems installing XP on my wife's Macbook. Just be ready to activate Windows couple of times.

6. kevinoneill thread starter macrumors newbie

actually i think boot camp assist. will partition/initialize it for me...

7. kevinoneill thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed XP last night. Smooth sailing. I could of bought an OEM Hard drive and been just fine, the Mac Pro has everything needed. Bootcamp will initialize the HD for you, boot camp will do everything that needs to be done. Driver CD worked with no hitches. Perfect.

Just remember to install on the C drive if you installed another internal. Follow the directions they tell you to print out and your golden.

Thank you all!!!