Boot Camp: which GPU will be default on the Windows side?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgpg89, Oct 16, 2008.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I've ordered my MBP (sig) as soon as it was announced (arriving November 4th).

I'm an architecture student and I'll be using Windows (VMware with light usage / Boot Camp with intensive usage) to run applications like AutoCAD and Revit.

Now, I was wondering, when in Boot Camp, which GPU will be default?
    Is there a panel in the Windows system preferences where you can actually switch between the two?

Or would you have to reboot to Mac, change it over there in the panel, reboot and boot into Windows? (This would be kinda ridiculous)

Thanks for your help

2. kolax macrumors G3

Windows will have its own control panel to do it. I'd assume Apple would update the Boot Camp drivers to support this. By default, I'd assume too that it would be the 9600GT.

I think you'd probably have to restart Windows once you have made the changes, rather than logging out and in again like you would in OS X (judging from the other PC's that use this feature).

Just assumptions though. I won't know until mine arrives either ;)

3. andybill macrumors newbie

I damn well better be the 9600. I would be returning my MBP before I even opened it if they made it the 9400

4. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

According to Nvidia you can only use the 9600M, no option to switch back to 9400M.

5. singaporesling macrumors newbie

Actually sony comps that have it can switch between them with a button because vista allows it. Which means Apple really dropped the ball on that one. They need to get off their ass and come up with a Vista like solution.