Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
I have an issue which I can't believe I've been unable to resolve -- so I'm finally giving up and asking about it here!

I've got a 2008 Mac Pro running Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit edition, via Boot Camp. It all works fine, except Win 7 seems to be having 2 driver-related issues:

First and foremost, I've got the yellow exclamation point showing up in the device manager besides the Texas Instruments 1394/firewire chipset driver, saying it's not functioning properly. I also own a 1394 firewire iSight camera, which seems to not be properly detected either -- but I assume this may well be because the firewire chipset driver is having issues?

I've tried a number of things ranging from deleting the problem driver and forcing Win 7 to re-detect it (same end result) to manually selecting it and picking a "legacy" version of the same driver from a list of available 1394 drivers Windows offers (again, same result).

The only thing I had ANY success with so far is with loading a 3rd. party universal Windows firewire driver and utility package made by "Unibrain". It seems to install properly, and then my external firewire 400 hard drive mounts properly on the Windows 7 desktop -- but the iSight camera still only shows up as a generic "1394 imaging device" and doesn't actually seem to function properly.

Secondly, I have a Moshi USB keyboard on my Mac Pro (not a real Apple branded one), and the Apple specific keys for volume up/down and eject don't seem to function under Win 7 with it. (The Apple keyboard drivers that come with Boot Camp never install for this one, since it probably doesn't identify itself as an Apple keyboard.) Moshi doesn't seem to have anything on their website addressing this. Am I out of luck?

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
re: bootcamp drivers

Oh yeah... I ran the setup program for the latest version of BootCamp. That got a few other things to work (like the bluetooth card in my Mac Pro), but not the firewire or keyboard.

That's why I'm sort of puzzled, because I could swear I had this working once before. (At some point, I reformatted a drive that used to have a Win 7 install on it in this machine, and upgraded to a larger drive.) Then again, back then I was probably still using the original Apple keyboard with it too -- but no changes with the firewire.

I hate to ask the obvious question, but did you install the bootcamp Windows drivers?

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Why don't you go online and download the correct drivers for the chipset? Works always and is updated too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.