Boot Camp - Windows 8 - Should I make a tutorial?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by LeakedDave, Sep 26, 2011.

1. LeakedDave macrumors regular

Hey everyone, I've been reading around about Windows 8 and I noticed this link here:

http://gigaom.com/apple/how-to-install-windows-8-preview-using-boot-camp/

They go on to say this...

And they're right... sort of. But there is a workaround.

Anyways, I had Windows 8 fully installed WITH boot camp support software and all of the drivers on my 2011 MacBook Air within 4 hours of it's release on MS's site. I had to hack the boot camp support installer in order to get it to stop spitting the "This is not Windows 7!" error.

Am I the only one who has gotten this to work? Is there already a tutorial or should I write one up?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just because something isn't supported, it doesn't mean it won't work. Many of us ran W7 on our Macs LONG before Boot Camp officially supported it.

I haven't seen a complete guide myself, but that's probably because I intend to run it in a VM. (Have yet to get to it).

B

3. buckers macrumors 6502

A tutorial would be much appreciated! Installed on a 2010 13" MBA and I can't get many of the drivers to work. :)

4. buckers macrumors 6502

I found a way of getting most of the drivers to work; however the graphics drivers aren't playing ball (it's using the default Windows stuff, instead NVidia). Laptop runs very hot, but boots very quickly.