Boot Camp Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ozzymandos, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Ozzymandos macrumors newbie

Where do I find a copy of XP or Vista for the Macbook? How do I know it will work? What version(s) should I look for?

Thanks in advance!

2. DarrenG macrumors regular

Uh have you tried a retailer? XP SP2 or any version of Vista IIRC but they key point is your supposed to BUY it!

3. Ozzymandos thread starter macrumors newbie

Seriously? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I kinda figured I had to buy it.

Here's the thing: There are about 25 versions of it that I can find. From XP Home to Pro and Vista Basic on up. Most of the online versions are OEM / Full versions. They are reasonably priced. The only "retail" "box" versions I can find are about twice as expensive. Why? Whats the difference? Is the OEM version for one machine only and the "retail box" versions for multiple machines?

I am honestly trying to figure out which version is which and which version is required. The boot camp documentation says "Full version" and "service pack 2" for XP.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

XP 32bit > XP 64bit
    Vista 64bit > Vista 32bit

If you work for a company and doing some work, they might be able to get you a CORPORATE version.

OEM has no support at all and suppose to be for 1 machine. However, people usually find googling more efficient than MS support.

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

You pick your Windows operating system the same way you'd pick it to install on a computer you just built. Bottom line, you want either XP or Vista OEM version - your preference. Whether you get Home, Professional, Media etc versions is entirely up to you based on your needs. The OEM versions are cheaper - don't come with documentation and their licensing is different, but are otherwise the same. One machine only. Buy the latest Service Pack you can - that just means that you won't have to download it. Note that current Service Pack for XP is SP3.

6. Ozzymandos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! That helps a TON. I only need it to run a couple of windows only programs and perhaps the odd game or two that I can't get for the PS3.