Boot camp with added internal drive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MacsAre1, May 25, 2014.

1. MacsAre1 macrumors member

Trying to install Windows 7. Used the modifications that allows me to create a USB installer, that part worked no problem. But in the next step it only offers to partition my SSD! I have installed a hard drive in the optical drive bay of my 2008 iMac, in large part expressly for the purpose of partitioning for Boot Camp since my SSD doesn't have the room. Why doesn't Boot Camp assistant give me the option to select this drive to partition?

Any other ideas for how to dual boot Windows 7 on this computer? I do have some data on this internal hard drive so I prefer to partition it and not devote it entirely to Windows.

2. MacsAre1 thread starter macrumors member

update

I booted into an external drive with Snow Leopard and tried to run it's Boot Camp Assistant, and it complained that it could not run on an external drive. Clearly Boot Camp Assistant wants to only look at the startup drive. So I repartitioned my internal drive where I'm trying to install Windows and installed a fresh copy of Mavericks. Boot Camp Assistant still wanted to partition my SSD instead of the hard drive I was booting off of! If I open Disk Utility before launching Boot Camp Assistant and unmount the SSD, then it seems like it looks at the hard drive. But it then complains that the drive is not journaled so it can't use it. The drive is formatted as HFS+ journaled. I removed the extra partitions using Drive Genius so it was just one boot partition plus the required EFI partition. (Accidentally removed the Recovery partition too, not sure if that mattered.) Even with 1 partition for the whole drive, Boot Camp Assistant still gave me the same errors. Does it not like the ATA interface or something?

I also tried using rEFIt to just boot the Windows 7 installer but that apparently won't work from USB on this Mac. I get the "not found" error.

Next step, I'm giving up the USB option to see if I can use rEFIt to install from a DVD on my external drive.

3. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

If your trying to install Windows on a 2nd drive you do not need the bootcamp assistant.

Just erase the 2nd drive, convert it to MBR Layout, make your partitions in disk utility(or let windows do it) and then run Windows setup.

4. MacsAre1 thread starter macrumors member

solved

yeah, that is pretty much what I was trying to do. It appears that there were a couple obstacles in my way, however. This 2008 iMac does not support USB booting for Windows, so I could not boot the installer either from the USB flash drive or my USB Blu-Ray drive. (Although OS X will boot by both those methods!) Tried to do the install in Parallels 8 but it wouldn't let Windows format my drive or modify the partitions. Finally rebooted into my old copy of Snow Leopard so I could run VMware Fusion 4 that I had laying around, and I was able to point the VM to use my internal drive as a raw disk instead of the virtual disk and run the Windows installer from there. The install was successful, but the Windows partition did not show up in the Startup Disk System Preference or holding the option key at boot until I manually ran the "bless" command with the appropriate options. Working now, except that I had also had trouble installing Apple's drivers because Boot Camp does not officially support Windows 7 on this machine and it refused to run the installer. I installed the drivers manually but some things (special keys on the keyboard, right-clicking and scrolling with my Magic Trackpad) still do not work properly.