Boot Camp with an external harddrive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by calebb0917, Apr 3, 2009.

1. calebb0917 macrumors member

Is there any way I could install Windows 7/Vista/XP on my MacBook using Bootcamp, but install the Windows OS on an external harddrive instead of my internal drive? I hope this is making sense. Thank you.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Bootcamp will only work if Windows is on the internal drive.

3. animaxcg macrumors regular

use vmware fusion (you can get a 30 day trial) to install windows mount the vmware virtual drive then use winclone to make a disk image of the virtual drive. now restore the winclone image onto the external drive then boot up on your windows disk and restore the boot partition to be the external HD

http://twocanoes.com/winclone/

4. calebb0917 thread starter macrumors member

Hey sorry but, can you please put this into simpler terms? Im not very informed about this kind of stuff so im a newbie. Haha

5. animaxcg macrumors regular

here's another way

6. calebb0917 thread starter macrumors member

Could I just go to an Apple store and get them to help me? Would they be able to help me with software like VMWare Fusion?

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple store is most likely to tell you bootcamp only works on the internal drive.

8. calebb0917 thread starter macrumors member

Im so confused with all of this haha. I know there must be a way to do this, but i dont know what any of this means due to my inexperience. Well thank you all so much for your help. If anyone finds a simple and easy way to do this, please tell me. Thank you.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Basically, bootcamp will only work with the internal hard drive. That is Apple's standard method and the easiest.

The other method, with the complicated 20 steps, is simply a way to get around Apple's standard way. As you can see, it is not trivial and involves messing around with commands and all that.

There is no simple way to do it on the external drive. That is what everyone is saying.

10. zaxzax macrumors newbie

Apologies that my first post opens an old thread, i've been reading all night after having an idea and not finding any answers. Along the original posters lines I want to create an external OSX/XP drive that will allow me to boot from either.

My reasons for this are as follows:

I want to play some games that are only available on pc on my mac.
    I don't want to re image and install xp using bootcamp on my mac, that will only take up space for something thats pretty unimportant. I like my mac how it is now.

I've been reading about using winclone and the like to copy different bootable partitions accross to external drives.

I've read how bootcamp will only allow setup of XP and OSX on an internal drive. (and incidentally how this is a requirement of XP, not bootcamp or OSX...)

What I'm wondering (and intend to experiment with tomorrow) is using my other halfs Macbook pro, with its easily replacable 2.5" drive, to do all this internally.

(Using other halfs machine as mine is a 21" imac so removing hardrives is a little more of a "task" from what i've read)

My plans, simple as they are at the moment:

1. Remove perfectly good OSX booting drive, replace with mac formatted alternate drive.

2. Boot from OSX install disk, setup drive fresh through bootcamp with XP and OSX all in.

3. Remove alternate drive, replace original, mollify other half :)

4. Put shiny bootcamp OSX/XP drive in external enclosure, attempt to boot from it.

I'm posting really because I have no idea what will happen then. Obviously it could and probably will be a big fat nothing. But I have a friend who routinely boots from a clone of one machine on a separate other machine. I'm wondering what would be the difference between a clone of a partition on an external dive to a standard partitioned bootable drive becoming an external drive?

I guess I'm probably missing something really obvious. If anyone fancies telling me what it is I would appreciate it!

11. csak macrumors newbie

"Put shiny bootcamp OSX/XP drive in external enclosure, attempt to boot from it."

I want to do a similar thing - I am getting the newmodeus optical bay hard drive caddy (hopefully tomorrow) with an SSD that I plan on installing. I have XP on my old stock hard drive (which has since been removed from my computer and replaced with a 320 GB WD Scorpio Black), which I would like to place into an external enclosure to try and run XP from if possible. I also currently dual boot 10.6 and win7 64 bit installed on my WD drive.

I plan on making my new SSD my OSX boot drive (in the optical bay caddy), run win7 from the WD (which also contains a data drive partition for use with OSX), and also be able to boot from XP on my external - basically a ghetto triple boot. Slightly more complicated, but I'm gonna try.

I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I get all the parts. If anyone has any suggestions/recommendations, or would like to tell me that this is impossible, I'd appreciate it.

12. csak macrumors newbie

13. planetx macrumors newbie

planetx

@csak
    Can you please explain best as you can what failed? I'm planning to to the same thing (newmodeus hard drive caddy with OS X, internal HD with win7) beacuse my superdrive is broken :apple:_:apple: