Boot Camp with windows or not, What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shmutheprophet, Jun 15, 2008.

1. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

Well I just got my first ever mac, a macbook pro 2 days ago. I love it. Yes the hardware was more expensive than the PC equivilent, but the operating system, reliability, warranty, beutifulness, etc, etc I think make up for it. Anyways one of the reaosn I got the pro was the 8600M 256MB video card for games. I installed WC3 already on Mac OS X.

However I do have some games like TF2 that will only work on windows (without buying crossover games). Obviously I don't NEED games. I use to be a really hardcore gamer but have slowed down quite a bit. Anyways i'm done rambling, my question is, do you think I should dualboot with XP purely so I can play windows games?

Thanks!

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If you enjoy gaming then bootcamp is the way to go,for any other windows progs there's fusion

3. shmutheprophet thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response.

Yeah I had tries playing a game in Parallels 3.0 and I was getting horribly low FPS in a very old game, that an 8600M should be able to handle pretty easily. So I think bootcamp will be my only choice for video games. I guess I will do it, just allocate about 20GB to the partition and put 3 or 4 games on it at a time.

Sam

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yep that pretty much sums it up,but don't forget that when installing fusion ( my choice ) or parallel's you can point it to run off your windows partition,that way you have the best of both worlds
    if you wanna play games use bootcamp if not use your vm

5. shmutheprophet thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome thanks for the info =) I didn't know you could do that.

6. shmutheprophet thread starter macrumors regular

Just was curious:

Does battery power worse in XP ? (it uses the battery quicker)

and how do you keep track of it in XP?

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I'll say in a nutshell that when Apple designed bootcamp, it wasn't supposed to be some sort of shoddy half baked scheme to get windows users to switch over, but rather a full blown experience which allows the user to use their Mac as their main hardware (since Apple IS a hardware company) or to comfortably use their machines to do their windows work until they can completely migrate to OS X.

Considering this, everything from the iSight to the graphics card has driver support in Windows, and is updated by Apple. The interface that talks to windows about driver/power support is the APCI, which apple (i think) has taken into consideration.

That said, I don't have my mac with me (sold it) and even if I did, I would be virtualizing via Fusion.

AFAIK, i'm 99% sure Apple has included ACPI support.

8. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

XP has a nice battery meter in the tray (like other wintops)