Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkinthenight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2014
Okay, so I was trying to install windows on my Mac for about the third time, and this time it gives me issues saying the image I'm supplying for the USB is not a 64-bit image. I thought it would be recognized as 64 bit because it had both 64 and 32 bit on it but I guess not.

I googled this problem, and found a tip that had been used successfully to modify a file in the boot camp folder and the issue would be resolved. I modified the file which was easy enough, and silly me I didn't keep a copy of the original and now boot camp won't run. I don't know what I should do now.

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
Okay, so I was trying to install windows on my Mac for about the third time, and this time it gives me issues saying the image I'm supplying for the USB is not a 64-bit image. I thought it would be recognized as 64 bit because it had both 64 and 32 bit on it but I guess not.

I googled this problem, and found a tip that had been used successfully to modify a file in the boot camp folder and the issue would be resolved. I modified the file which was easy enough, and silly me I didn't keep a copy of the original and now boot camp won't run. I don't know what I should do now.

Which file and location exactly did you make changes?
Do you have time machine setup? you can restore using that.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I think time machine won't backup bootcamp partition.

Anyway, since it's a newly install Windows. It should be nothing there. May be you can boot by your installation disk (or USB), and then reinstall Windows to that partition again (you may format that partition and make clean install). After that, install bootcamp driver manually will give you a fully functional Windows Mac.

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
I think time machine won't backup bootcamp partition.

Anyway, since it's a newly install Windows. It should be nothing there. May be you can boot by your installation disk (or USB), and then reinstall Windows to that partition again (you may format that partition and make clean install). After that, install bootcamp driver manually will give you a fully functional Windows Mac.

From what I understand, he was trying to install windows. so windows was not installed yet. and after making changes to bootcamp files in the mac os environment, "bootcamp assistant" won't runt. Bootcamp assistant files are within the mac itself and should be backed up in time machine unless he specifically excluded it in time machine preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.