Boot Camp woes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dufflespank, Aug 13, 2007.

1. dufflespank macrumors newbie

So I just purchased a new 160GB HDD for my macbook in the hopes that I could run windows through boot camp. I threw the new hard drive in an enclosure and formatted it with Mac OS X extended (journaled) with one partition. Now, after swapping the drive out with my old internal drive and trying to run bootcamp, it gives me an error message saying that I need to reformat the drive with a single partition. Why!? I already did that. Do I really have to reinstall the OS and everything? I formatted the new disk via enclosure with Disk Utility and used Carbon Copy Cloner to transfer my old drive to the new drive. Any suggestions?

2. dufflespank thread starter macrumors newbie

3. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

If you just put in the disk without installing OSX or putting OSX on it in some way, such as an image from your old HD, then that's your problem. A HD won't JUST work by itself. You need an operating system to go with it.

4. dufflespank thread starter macrumors newbie

The HD works fine, it is an image of the old HD. My problem is : When I try to run boot camp assistant, it tells me that my HD won't work and that I need to reformat. However, the drive has been reformatted twice already as a single Mac OS X extended (journaled) volume. What's the deal?