Boot Camp won't install Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Synkronicity, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Synkronicity, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014

Synkronicity macrumors newbie

I'm trying to install Windows 10 x64 on my late-2013 13" Retina Macbook Pro but Boot Camp Assistant is refusing to create a bootable USB, citing that I need to have Windows 7 and above to do so. I can't figure out how to get around this, nor how everyone seems to have figured out how to natively install Windows 10 on their Mac. It won't even attempt the process for me. The W10 iso comes straight from Microsoft's website.

Edit: Womp. Looks like the iso I downloaded got corrupted and re-downloading it solved my problem. :rolleyes:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Windows 10 is not released, so maybe Apple isn't ready for it yet.

I suggest loading it into a virtual machine instead, i.e., vmware or parallels.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Windows 10 is experimental and Boot Camp does not officially support it. I would create the USB on a different machine if necessary and download the appropriate support software from Apple.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The other option is to upgrade to win10 in place, i.e., install Windows 7 or 8, then try to install win10 after the fact.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I never do OS upgrades so that did not even enter into my mind as an option. I always do a wipe and clean install and manually reload data and programs. Keeps the systems nice and fresh actually!

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, but if the OP was looking to get win 10 on the machine, that may be a feasible option in the sense of getting it to install.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would only use it however as a testing grounds on an upgrade install.