Boot Camp Won't Let Me Partition :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by I Love Mac, Nov 19, 2011.

1. I Love Mac macrumors member

Whenever I try to use Boot Camp to put Windows 7 on my Macbook I get an error. Picture of it below. I will also let you know that I have only 1 partition on my mac. Also another picture for that. Help please!!!

Attached Files:

2. gibboIU macrumors member

I am having the same issue. I had a small partition for windows, and I merged it back with the mac hard drive so that I could redo it and have a larger partition. And now I am getting the same error as this when trying to set up the new partition. Anyone know what the issue is?

3. I Love Mac thread starter macrumors member

4. flir67 macrumors 6502

mine says I need 10gb available and I have way more space than that.. so it won't work for me at all..

5. mixel, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011

mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

I've had this happen too, with a number of different error messages. It fixes it to defragment the drive in question. I used "idefrag lite" I think but there may be other more free alternatives that do the same job. :)

Edit: I also found this thread, where people got it to work another way too. http://superuser.com/questions/72896/cannot-resize-os-x-partition

6. gibboIU macrumors member

So I defragged my HD using iDefrag and removed a few large files from my HD. After doing both of these I still get the same error about not being able to remove certain files. I am using a 20" iMac with a 2.66 GHz Intel core 2 duo and 4 gb of 800 mhz DDR2 sdram. I have 128gb of free space on a 500gb HD. Any other thoughts on whats causing this?

7. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I had the same issue and I ended up having to reinstall SL... don't have that problem with Lion tho..

8. unixperience macrumors regular

three very simple questions,
    1)how big is your HDD?
    2)how much free space do you have?
    3)how big are you trying to make bootcamp?

most people dont know but formatting a bootcamp partition wastes a ton of space on my computer it took about 14.5GB (windows 7x64... i don't know if the os makes a difference though) My friend tried for a week to install and she finally came to me, she had like 80 gigs free and tried to make a 75gig partition, never worked. i said 65 gigs, and it worked flawlessly. As a side note that 15 gigs got take from my os-x partition. Mine is 200 GB, and windows gets all 200GB, but my mac only gets 285GB instead of the 300GB left on the hdd.

Check the size :)

9. I Love Mac thread starter macrumors member

My HD is 250 GB
    Free space is 187 GB
    Trying to make bootcamp 100GB

10. gumblecosby, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

gumblecosby macrumors 6502

I had a similar problem. Idefrag did not fix that.

What I did was do a clean install and restore from a time machine backup. The restored backup will not be fragmented so your remaining HD space will be usable for bootcamp again. I've done this on two separate occasions when faced with this problem and it worked both times.

A restore from time machine backup took 12 hours to complete by the way. The backup was from an external USB drive and the backup size was 380gb. A word of warning, your computer wont be usable during the restoration process.

Edit.

Actually your problem seems to be the partition map and not file fragmentation . Disk utility sometimes hides partitions. Go to the terminal and type in diskutil list

This should show every partition on your HD. Hidden or not