Boot camp won't let me set up XP because I don't have Windows already installed.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Takamofo, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Takamofo macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I bought my iMac a few days ago and I really am enjoying it. What I wanted to do is to boot XP so I could play steam and other things aside from the stuff I can do on my mac. When Windows was setting up it wouldn't let me finish because it said that I couldn't continue because I didn't have an older version of Windows. I am using the Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 1. Any suggestions on what to do? I'm fairly new to Macs and I've never had to put a new OS on a computer so I'm lost when it comes to things like this.

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Sounds like you have a Windows updater disc, not a full install disc.

3. PhilW macrumors newbie

How do you do this if you don't run Windows already? I mean I run two Macs and there is not a Windows computer nearby.

I want to install Windows via Boot Camp. Can I slipstream XP SP3 from my original XP disc (2002) and a downloads copy of SP3 - using just my Mac??

4. Matek macrumors 6502a

No, I'm afraid not. But you could simply download a torrent of WinXP SP3 - since you already own XP, you wouldn't be breaking any laws. I don't want to support piracy, but it can be pretty convenient in these cases.

5. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

As CM says - you need to get a full install version of Windows, not the upgrade disk that you are trying to use.

No you will need a Windows machine (either physical or virtual) as you need to run setup.exe or update.exe to start the slipstream and you can't run these under OS X.

6. Sebby macrumors 6502a

Except that a retail disc wouldn't accept an upgrade serial, so you'd have to use a key that you haven't paid for, and therefore it is illegal.

7. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I think Matek's answer relates to the SP3 slipstreaming question not the Upgrade disk one.

8. Sebby macrumors 6502a