Boot Camp Won't Partion :(

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Tragedies, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Tragedies macrumors 6502

Hey all need help,

I had Windows XP on my Mac via Boot Camp and decided to install Windows 7. So I made my Mac into one single partition using the boot camp assistant. I then tried to make a new partition, however the first time it hanged for a while and then eventually stopped and gives me an error saying it couldn't partition, and that I should format my Mac into one partition using disk utility (thus erasing everything) and trying again. I could do this, but I REALLY don't want too. The second time it kept hanging for ages, and I soon went to activity monitor and forced quit it. I then had 45GB less space, but Disk Utility had a parition listed with random letters that was 45GB in size. I went to Boot Camp Assistant, and it seemed to think I had a windows parition, and it then removed it. I now have the 45GB back, and want to partition my drive for windows 7. I've heard people mention iParition and iDefrag from other threads in this forum... what should I use/do in this situation?

Thank you in advance.

2. jbone567 macrumors newbie

I just had to do this myself. Same situation. Get a program like idefrag or drive genius. Defrag your harddrive and then you should be golden.