Boot camp won't start

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dronomophone, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Dronomophone macrumors regular

I'm running the latest high end 21.5" iMac and I've had Windows 7 64 bit working through boot camp and VMWare Fusion since I got the computer. Everything's been fine, but now all of a sudden, windows won't start through boot camp. When I start up the computer, I select boot camp and it freezes. Still works through VMWare. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Crevice macrumors regular

Same problem is happening with me. I am on a new mac pro, but I DONT have VMWare. I click select bootcamp, and it freezes. When I go in to OSX and choose to restart with the startup disk as windows it works fine, but it wont work when I hold option down and select it. I wonder if we have any common elements, the only thing I thought was maybe it was a something with my mbox2 or something. It looks like other's are having this issue, maybe it's something with the new bootcamp drivers. For the record, it doesn't do this every single time, though lately it seems to be getting worse.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Does it freeze on a completely blank screen? Is there an underscore/cursor in the top left? Have there been any hardware changes to either of your machines recently? ...

B

4. Dronomophone thread starter macrumors regular

No changes. As soon as I select the boot camp partition and hit return, it freezes. No blank screen or any changes to the current screen.

5. Crevice macrumors regular

Same here, no change in the screen. I just click enter and it just sits there. I guess I can just wait one day and see if it eventually loads. No real changes, maybe installed a couple games or what not, but the fact that it's not even getting past that screen makes it hard to believe its software related. I heard somewhere maybe try unplugging all USB devices, but even if that works I should not have to do that.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Zap PRAM?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

There are some USB devices that can cause a hangup during boot and even other reports of Ethernet cables causing hiccups occasionally.

Reseating your RAM might also help.

B

7. Crevice macrumors regular

Good idea, and thanks for the link. I will give it a shot when I get home, and let you guy's know if it works.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

With Tiger and Windows XP, I had the same thing happen.

I was able to repair by booting from an external HD clone that I had, then repairing the HD. Everything worked fine after that.

Not sure if this would work with Snow Leopard and Windows 7, but might be worth a try.