"boot camp x 64 is unsupported on this computer model"

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jayar182, Aug 11, 2010.

1. jayar182 macrumors newbie

im installing windows vista 64 bit on my uncle's mac book pro (15 inch i7), but when ever i try to install the drivers on my macbook pro it says "boot camp x 64 is unsupported on this computer model".

im thinking that maybe the reason is that he forgot to give me the OSX instalation disc that came wuth his laptop and as such, i am using mine (i tried both the installation disc that came with my laptop late 09 model and the OSX snow leopard upgrade DVD i got in the mail)

any thoughts? thank you

2. chrfr macrumors 603

You need to use the drivers on his installation disc.

3. unixperience macrumors regular

the snow leopard install dvd you got int the mail should work. what model is his computer? If it has an i7 chip it should work fine...

did you upgrade bootcamp before installing? you need at least version 3 of bootcamp for it to work with 64 bit windows7

* EDIT* if that doesn't work there is an alternate way to install the drivers. when you insert the snow leopard dvd windows asks what you want to do, say open and view files and folders on cd/dvd
    now navigate the snow leopard dvd as follows
    \Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple\BootCamp64.msi
    now right click it and click on trouble shoot compatibility, and follow the instructions from there. that should get you all set (this was the method I used to install the drivers on my bootcamp)

4. jayar182 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for the help, unfortunately, i do not have a USB mouse, just a bluetooth magic mouse,..any suggestions?

*EDIT* i found out how to right click using just the keyboard, unfortunately that option doesnt show up

is it possible its the way i installed it? because my copy of vista is upgrade only, so i installed XP 64 bit, then when upgrading i formatted to get a fresh install,..

thank you again for the help :)

5. chrfr macrumors 603

This is his problem- the retail upgrade DVD is not current for the later computers. If the original OS installation discs for that computer are lost, you can call Apple and get replacements for a reasonable price.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

For future reference: Both Vista and 7 upgrades can be installed without a previously installed OS.

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_upgrade_clean.asp

For the drivers you either need the discs that came with it or a replacement or a retail disc made significanlty after the hardware was released. Probably one with 10.6.5 on it which don't exist yet.

B