Boot Camp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xdchata13, Aug 31, 2010.

1. xdchata13 macrumors newbie

Guys, i need help about boot camp..

I was trying to partition my MBP but it's not working because of an error.

"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved"
    Back up disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again"

Can anyone explain to me what to do? I seriously want to have Windows 7 on my mac so I could play Starcraft II much better.

Thank you.. please be patient with me since.. i don't know anything about boot camp. Thank you.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

[​IMG]

The answer is right there:

You need to backup all your data, insert the restore DVD, run Disk Utility and erase the volume, install Mac OS X, run Boot Camp Assistant (BCA) and be done with it.

It is that way, because BCA could not find enough continuous HDD space to properly partition it.

Booting Windows on a Mac

3. xdchata13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm really sorry but like what I said, i'm just a noob at this so can you list down like what apps, and processes i should do cause I don't want to damage my mac... and I had a hard time doing my itunes and i might have to do it again. Sigh..

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Get an external HDD (USB or Firewire 400/800), use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to copy/clone the internal HDD with Mac OS X on it to the external HDD.
    After it has finished, go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and select the external HDD and click RESTART.
    After the restart has finished, open Disk utility and erase your internal HDD.
    After that, use CCC or SuperDuper again to clone the external HDD to the internal and reboot again, but select the internal HDD this time.

Now all the data has been written continuously to the internal HDD and you should be able to run BCA.

FormatYour Hard Drive Using Disk Utility

Partition Your Hard Drive With Disk Utility

If that still is not enough information, maybe use MRoogle (again?) and find many already existing threads about this issue, maybe they have more concise information to offer.

5. xdchata13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, i'll try to do it, I hope this doesnt mess my macbook pro.. i'm seriously going to cry.. :(( if it does kill it, im dead.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It shouldn't mess with your MBP, just make sure you backup your data first via the cloning process.

I have done it, others have done, you can do it too, just don't be too anxious about it. Good luck. :)

7. xdchata13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I already, downloaded superclone. and i have two HDD. I'm really scared... i wish nothing happens..

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Don't be scared, just let the cloning process done and make sure, to not interfere, and not use the Mac while the process is running. Depending on how much data you have, it can take a while (100GB via USB >> 80/90 minutes, 100GB via Firewire 800 >> 40 minutes).

Wishing has nothing to do with how the process goes.
    After the process is done, compare both HDDs contents via CMD+I.

9. xdchata13 thread starter macrumors newbie

question, after erasing the memory of my internal HDD, i'll still be able to transfer the whole thing back, right? with no error and stuff?

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, as you backed it up to the external HDD and you boot from it before you erase the internal HDD.

Btw, the term "memory" is used for RAM, the 4GB or whatever amount you have installed. HDD capacity (320GB, 500GB) is referred to as "storage capacity".

11. xdchata13 thread starter macrumors newbie

you might get annoyed at me already for asking you too much questions but... i read some people saying that they can't connect in the internet if they use windows 7 via boot camp.

and it's obviously going to happen to me so how do i do that? Thanks

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know about that, but if you have the appropriate drivers it should work, at least via Ethernet (cable). Use MRoogle (it is a very powerful, but often ignored tool) to find threads about this. Anyway, you will come to it, if you managed to install Windows.

My only experience with Windows 6.1 (or "7" as MS calls it) and wireless internet was complicated, it could detect the router, but not connect to it. But that may be due to hardware issues, it was not my PC anyway.

13. xdchata13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh okay! sorry for my mistake!

oh yeah, question again.. cause i'm obviously planning to booth camp my mac right...? should i install windows 7 first then... copy my whole system back? hmmmm..

14. xdchata13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh okay, i hope mine works.. =( i read some people say download parallel or something.. haha.

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

NO. Erase the internal HDD, clone the contents back to it, boot from the internal HDD and see if everything works, then run Boot Camp Assistant to create a partition and then install Windows.

Parallels is something different than Boot Camp, read the guide/article I supplied in my first reply.

Btw, you can edit your posts via the [​IMG] button, or multi-quote posts via the [​IMG] button, as sequential posts are "against" the rules.

Minor Problems

6. Sequential posts.
    Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time.

16. xdchata13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry if i'm like spamming you already. I'm just new to this forum, i just joined like an hour ago because I was in desperate in need of help. Thank you so much for all the help! I'll just update you every time something happens. :apple:

17. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No problem.

18. xdchata13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey man! i successfully transfered my whole system in a external HDD.. YAY! and i did like what you said a while ago, i deleted everything in my internal HDD.. and now, i'm transfering all my old files using superduper! i hope Boot Camp works later!

19. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

You'll put in the Snow Leopard CD after you first boot into Windows 7. This will automatically add all the drivers Windows will need to connect to the internet, use bluetooth, use trackpad, etc.