Boot Camp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hirschab, Nov 24, 2007.

1. hirschab macrumors member

So I'm trying to get Vista on my Macbook Pro and I gave it a 32gb partition but I installed the 64 bit version which didn't work so well in terms of drivers so I deleted the 32gb portion of the hd and I now have the 32gb version of Vista but after I deleted the 32gb portion it is now formatted as Mac Os Journalled and Windows cant format it in the Vista startup. How can I format the partition as NTFS? And also, how can I recombine the two partitions into one single HD again?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Did you use Boot Camp to delete the Windows partition? It should have completely deleted the entire partition (leaving you only you OS X partition), allowing you to create another Windows partition (essentially starting over).

3. hirschab thread starter macrumors member

It says "the startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition" when I run boot camp

4. chaonatic macrumors newbie

hirschab, I ran into this problem too. What you'll need to do is go into the Disk Utility and change the volume to FAT32 (you'll have to erase the partition in order to do this). Once you've done that you should be able to restore your hard drive via the Boot Camp Assistant.

The only issue I've encountered is even though I've restored my disk, it still wants to boot into Windows. I know there used to be a "Startup Disk" app to change the target boot volume, but I'm having a helluva time trying to find it at the moment, hehe. I've looked on both my MacBook Pros (updated to 10.5.1) and can't find where to change the boot volume on either, anyone know where to look off hand?

5. Zawamura macrumors regular

System Settings > Startup disk . :) There you can change it

6. hirschab thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I know thats what I need to do, if you read my question thats what I'm asking, is how to erase the partition using disk utility. Sorry if I wasn't more clear.

7. chaonatic macrumors newbie

Thanks Zawamura!

hirschab, go into Disk Utility and click on the partition that you want to reformat. Then click on the 'Erase' tab in the right-hand pane. Under that tab you can select what you want the 'Volume Format' to be before you erase the partition. So click on 'Volume Format' and change it to MSDOS FAT32, or whatever it is listed as, then click erase. Once it's done just fire up the Boot Camp Assistant and merge the two partitions into one.