Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DxAxN, Jul 12, 2009.

1. DxAxN macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just recently tried to use Boot Camp to install XP to my less than 2 week old MacBook Pro, accidentally wiped out the Mac partition. Now the entire drive is partitioned as NTFS (which I know Mac can't read). I can't restore from my install discs (or use disc utility to partition it as the Mac partition format)

Help!!!!!!!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You should be able to boot from you install DVD and use Disk Utility to erase the entire drive and reinstall Leopard fresh

Do you have a Time Machine backup or any other form of backup (clone, etc)?

You indicate you cannot use the install disc to do this... why?
    What error are you getting?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. DxAxN thread starter macrumors newbie

No time machine or backups :(. I do PC repairs and didn't think I was going to screw the install up. Of course, on habit, installed it to the unpartitioned space (didnt realize it was the Mac partition until it was half way through the reformat).

No errors, just all options are disabled... Tried to repartition, but all options in first aid, erase and partition are disabled.

Write status is read-only. SMART is Verified and Partition Map Scheme is unformatted.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You can't partition because it is NTFS
    You will have to select the whole drive, not a partition under it and erase the whole thing

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. DxAxN thread starter macrumors newbie

Edit got it :)

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2176

Restarted and Installer found the disk.

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Make sure you keep back-ups of your system before you do anything to the disk again like bootcamp because theres always a chance something can go wrong, usually caused by human error but that's not always the case.