Boot Camp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnnaCody, Aug 23, 2010.

1. AnnaCody macrumors regular

AnnaCody

Hi everybody,

I picked up my new MacBook Pro last week!! I've been using WXP since 2005 and hated all the new things on W7, changes almost the same as WXP but just enough different that I knew I'd be frustrated so figured now is the time to switch to a MAC since everything will be new and I'll have fun figuring it all out.

Anyhow....sadly...there are still a few things I'd love to keep so was reading up on Boot Camp having been assured that it's free.....ha, I need a disc to install WXP. I do have my original one but it isn't SP 2 so I'm a little miffed.

I'm hoping I've misunderstood something.

Please straighten me out.
    TIA
    Anna

2. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I believe once you install windows on Boot Camp you might be able to go to the microsoft website and upgrade it or at least get any older patches. BTW, you may want to look into getting either Parallels or VMware Fusion. These are applications that allow you to use XP "virtually." in other words, you don't have to close out of OSX to get into XP. Both will run along each other so you can switch back and forth. I have Fusion and I'm very happy with it.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Although Boot Camp doesn't support Windows without SP2, it's been known to work for some users. It doesn't hurt to try.

4. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

If your XP disc is an OEM version that came with a branded computer (dell, hp, acer, etc.) It may not work either since the product key may be locked to a specific type of hardware. Just something to keep in mind.

5. TJones macrumors regular

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You spent the money on a new Mac, why not just buy a copy of Windows 7?

7. AnnaCody thread starter macrumors regular

AnnaCody

Thanks everybody for your replies. Many good suggestions to consider.

I guess I should have been skeptical when they said "just" install boot camp. That darn "just" word has come back to haunt me more then once, grrr.

Good thought about buying W7 but then I'm back to being frustrated with the little changes they make, I hate that. I've loved WXP but true, the disc I have probably is just for my laptop....another dirty trick they've played in the name of the almighty dollar.

How many of you just go cold turkey when you go MAC and don't bother with MS anymore at all :eek:

Thanks again,
    Anna

PS: I"m so glad to have found this forum. I used Worldstart for years and am glad to find a MAC forum its equal :)

8. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

First and foremost, welcome to the forum. It is very educational and helpful. I use MS in the workplace, but have only 1 application that I need to use for personal use on my Mac, hence my use of VMware Fusion.

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

While I certainly can't speak for others here, I can bet that most of the forum here has went cold turkey and uses Mac OS X only. Other than people wanting to play games there really isn't any need for Microsoft Windows. You "MAY" run across some I.E. only websites but those are generally from enterprise level businesses that are still coding their websites with I.E 6 with active x controls.

Just about every piece of software out there runs under the Mac OS and Windows. MS is releasing a brand new and MUCH improved Office this fall for Mac that's on par with the Windows version, finally. There's a lot of great Mac only software that's not available on Windows that I can't do without. Don't get caught up into thinking you have to have Windows to get along in this world, that was in the past. There's too much good software available for Mac that we no longer really need Windows anymore.
    I'll bet if you didn't install Windows you'd quickly find out there's a lot you can do on Mac OS X that you probably didn't know was available for it.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Agreed. For the majority, anything you can do in Windows, there's an application to do the same in Mac and whoever tells you otherwise is talking out of their asses. I still run Boot Camp/Windows ONLY for gaming, if I wasn't a gamer, I would only have OS X installed and that was within the first 3 months of owning a Mac.

11. AnnaCody thread starter macrumors regular

AnnaCody

I was hoping most would say "cold turkey". The few things I thought I couldn't live without are becoming dim memories as I explore all the apps for MAC. I'll soon be joining the club "I went MAC and won't go back" :D

Thanks again for all your help,
    Anna

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I can't go cold turkey. I just can't. Not for my job, not for some of the Windows only apps I use. etc.

But it gives me a large degree of flexibility, and since I get MS Wares at significantly reduced prices i'm typically kitted out with the latest, so my current setup is a Win 7 Ultimate + Office 2010. I don't even use office on mac or iWork anymore.