Boot Camp's Future

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lil' brudder, May 23, 2007.

1. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

I am going to be getting a macbook very soon and was wondering if boot camp beta will not work anymore when leopard comes out. In other words, when leopard comes out, will I continue to be able to boot into windows xp or will I have to upgrade to leopard? This may be a stupid question, but I have been wondering about this for a while now.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Boot Camp is only a way of getting Windows ON your Mac. Once its there, Boot Camp is of little (no?) use. Leopard will come with a full RC Boot Camp.

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm not sure this is the case. If you download Bootcamp, it says something like "this is temporary and can be retracted at any time." I think in non-legalese, it means that once Leopard comes out, you won't be able to use Bootcamp Beta (legally). Other than that, I don't think it does anything other than let you boot Windows.
    Here's the link to the licensing terms. Skip down to paragraph 3.

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

You can boot windows without Bootcamp. Bootcamp is only a partitioning program.

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Correct, but my understanding of the situation is that after the release of 10.5 Boot Camp will no longer be available for use as a partitioning and install tool seperate from Leopard. But if you have already used it to install XP, or some other MS OS, then you will be able to continue using it.

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Where did you get this "understanding" from? I haven't seen any official statement by Apple that Boot Camp "will no longer be available", etc.

7. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I remember reading something a while back that Boot Camp is only supposed to work to a certain date (sometime late 2007, I forgot the exact date) and then the beta program is over. When this happens, I'm not sure if you won't be able to boot into Windows of just can't mess with the partitions anymore.

Because of this, uses will have a choice of either purchasing Leopard or a Boot Camp license for something a price. I think it was around $40, maybe less, I don't remember.

At the time, I wasn't really interested in Boot Camp since all my licenses have expired or are being used on another computer and I would have to repurchse all my software. I was planning on upgrading to Vista and using my XP disk, but Vista's not all that great, and I don't have a XP SP2.

Oh yeah, I don't remember if I read this on apple.com or some other website, so I could be totally out in left field.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You can slipstream SP2 onto a regular XP disk, here is the guide...
    It was not on Apple.com, it was just a rumour (which I don't happen to believe) :)

9. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I have a slipstreamed disk, I had to do that when I switched from IDE hard drives to SATA. I just didn't want to do that with my Mac, if I didn't have to. I haven't had any problems, except that I can't put my computer on stand by and when I switch users, everything crawls to a near stop.

Either way, I'm going to wait till Leopard to buy a new hard drive and install it on there, then see what I'm going to do. I don't want to mess with getting it all set up then running out of space, then having to upgrade.

10. warfa macrumors regular

Well if you are planning on upgrading to leopard, then there isn't any need to worry about boot camp beta's future! as leopard will have a full version.:)

11. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

the first non-beta version of BootCamp will be a part of Leopard...

12. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I found this interesting.

From the Boot Camp page... "Term of License. The term of this License shall commence upon your installation or use of the Apple Software and will terminate automatically without notice from Apple upon the next commercial release of the Apple Software, or September 30, 2007, whichever occurs first."

I don't think you have too much to worry about though. Boot Camp is in beta, when it's compete it will be part of Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard". But, since Leopard is coming in October I guess we'll see an update if we need it. I don't think Boot Camp will just stop running in September, maybe an update will be needed to let it continue to work, but I definitely don't think Apple will let anything bad happen.

They've gotten a lot of positive press from it, I don't think they can afford to cripple everyone's dual-booting because Leopard is coming out later than planned.

13. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Maybe that means an October 1st release for Leopard?

14. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Well I wouldn't go so far as saying that. All Apple has to do is change the date. I don't even know if Boot Camp will stop working on that date or not, but if they have it setup to do so, I assume a simple patch will fix that up. :)