Boot device not found error

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by DayOfChaos, Feb 18, 2012.

1. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

Hello.

I have had my Windows partition for awhile, and I was moving just fine. I booted into Mac to make a new partition. I click my Mac HD, and hit the + and created a new partition. I installed whatever onto that partition, and then deleted it. I now can not boot into Windows anymore. The drive is not deleted, it is still there and shows on my desktop, Boot Camp Assistant detects it, I can set it as the boot device in System Preferences but if it is the main boot device it says no booatable device found (The black screen DOS like interface). If I boot my mac and hold down option, the Windows partition doesn't show.

Any help?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Part of what Boot Camp does for you is to "wrap" the Mac's native GPT partition scheme so that it looks like MBR (the legacy scheme supported by Windows).

Creating the new partition has confused this translation. You may be able to fix it with tools available from rEFIt http://refit.sf.net (even without installing rEFIt).

You might also be able to use W7's repair wizard to fix your booting issues assuming that that is the version of Windows you have installed.

B

3. DayOfChaos thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply, I am trying it now!