Boot disk from external DVD drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by christeeezy, Jul 30, 2011.

1. christeeezy macrumors member

So I'm trying to bootcamp Windows on my MBP with an external DVD drive because I have a HDD in place of the opti dive. I ran bootcamp assistant and partitioned, then it prompted me to insert the Windows disk and press the button. After pressing the button my computer restarts as it should to install Windows.

After restart, I get the normal gray screen, but without the Apple logo. The screen then goes straight black and I hear the DVD spinning up, but nothing happens afterwords. I've left it to sit like this to make sure it wasn't just taking a while to load. But 30 minutes pass and still nothing.. the DVD stopped spinning and the fans running full speed.

So I'm stuck.. Any help?

Thanks

2. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've seen posts in the past that claim you can't install windows from an external drive.

3. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

How do people install bootcamp on a MBA then? jw

4. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

You have to put the superdrive back in. That's how I did it. There is no other solution as far as I know.

5. christeeezy thread starter macrumors member

Wondering the same thing. Same goes for everyone else with an optibay hard drive. I'm really trying to avoid having to open up my laptop to reinstall my optical drive internally.

6. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

I don't think you can avoid that if you want to install Windows. You just have to do it once. Make a disk image using winclone after the fresh install and then you can always restore the windows partition to it's original state.