Boot Disk

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by etsi, Nov 6, 2011.

1. etsi macrumors regular

Every time I power on boot mac mini it displays both hard disks to choose in order to boot. If I open the startup disk from system preferences I can see only one disk listed, the correct one. I can 't figure out how to boot always from that disk. The second hard disk is empty and formated.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You need TWO things to boot OS X from another disk.

1. It must have a version of OS X that the Mac can boot from on the disk and it must be "blessed".

2. The another disk MUST be formatted Mac OS Extended!

You can boot from a backup using a program like the free Carbon Copy Cloner.

3. etsi thread starter macrumors regular

Both disks are : Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

When I boot there are two icons with a pointer underneath the boot disk.

Do I have to reinstall everything to fix it? I have 2 disks, one SSD with mac os and the second one is empty (7200rpm).

4. KScottMyers macrumors regular

Zap the PRAM and see if that clears it up. Then select the boot disk in System Preferences.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

5. etsi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks but reset is not working. Firmware password is not set.

I have tried a lot of times. I hear the boot sound once and then it displays two HD icons, SSD disk and Recovery HD.

If I choose to set startup disk SSD it just boots as it should once. The second time I boot it displays the screen with the HD icons to choose which one to boot.

6. etsi thread starter macrumors regular

/dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *80.0 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS SSD 79.2 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk1
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
    2: Apple_HFS Mac HD2 499.8 GB disk1s2

When it boots it displays to Choose SSD or Recovery HD.
    How I will choose to always boot from SSD and not displays that startup that I have to click the HD icon every time?

[​IMG]

It looks like the above screenshot, except that the arrow is pointing the left icon, not the recovery partition.

7. KScottMyers macrumors regular

Normal behavior is to Not show the Startup Manger - like you see in the screen shot. This is usually only shown if you hold down the option key during startup.

Have you tried unplugging the keyboard after you hit restart to see if it still does this on boot up? Have you tried another keyboard?

Have you tried a Disk Repair running from the Recovery Partition?

8. etsi thread starter macrumors regular

I tried to remove both keyboard and mouse. Sometimes it boots normally, some other not. Anyway the same recovery screen appeared with both keyboard and mouse disconnected.

I have no idea what to do. Install again and restore from TM ? Anyway to avoid that recovery console, disable it completely ?

9. KScottMyers macrumors regular

When did it start doing this? Did you just do something to the computer when this started - software update?, hardware upgrade? etc.

10. etsi thread starter macrumors regular

I replaced one HD with SSD. I never tried to boot mac mini before replacing the lower HD with the SSD. Then I just installed lion from internet.

11. KScottMyers macrumors regular

Not sure if you did this. But did you reset the PRAM and NVRAM as indicated by Apple's support page?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

12. etsi thread starter macrumors regular

I tried but it's not working. I don't hear the boot sound twice it's not reseting. I keep the keys pressed while I boot mac mini and the startup manager loads.

13. KScottMyers macrumors regular

Obviously this is not normal. Since this happened right after a drive upgrade - Have you opened the Mac mini case again to make sure all cabling for the drives are well seated and nothing is mistakenly disconnected?

14. etsi thread starter macrumors regular

Everything is connected correctly. I didn't remove many parts to replace the lower hard disk. There is no problem with the hard disks I have tested them. The system also runs fine I am impressed by the performance. The only problem is the boot manager something is wrong. I will try to reinstall mac os no idea what else to do.

I tried this boot manager http://refit.sourceforge.net/ and it works. It just boots the default hard drive and partition. But I don't want such a solution I prefer mac os default boot manager. It should work and it must work.

15. KScottMyers macrumors regular

Yep - I would try again. Format the drive before doing the install.

16. etsi thread starter macrumors regular

Fresh install.

1st boot, okay. Shutdown

2nd boot, okay. Shutdown

3rd boot the startup manager appeared :(

I installed lion without any other updates.

I am about to give up...

17. KScottMyers macrumors regular

Crazy - since the Mac was working before the upgrade I'm gong to assume its ok concerning the hardware. Did you happen to format the second drive (500GB) as well?

18. etsi thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I have formated the one that is still in mac mini. I haven't touched the one that I have removed.

The nvram reset why is not working? Is there any other way to reset it?