Boot Drive tripled in size over night

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sboerup, Aug 30, 2010.

1. sboerup macrumors 6502

My 2010 Mac Pro has been running smooth and performance is impressive. After my fresh install of OSX 10.6.4, and installing my apps, my boot drive was only using 19.5GB of space. This was verified in Disk Utility, and the numbers in the image below add up to the same amount.

Out of nowhere this morning I see that it is now taking up 60GB worth of space. I'm trying to find out where it went, and what is taking up all that space. I'm looking for an app that scans the drive and can show me files/folders where all the data is sitting. I did a quick "get info" on each of the folders on my boot drive and the following is what I get:

[​IMG]

Anyone have a recommended app, or know what might have gone on? No System Software updates, it might have gone to sleep but I doubt the sleep image is 40GB. Scratching my head here . . .

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

3. Novablas macrumors member

Hmm that really is odd, and you're saying that those pics are after you've noticed the tripled size? Yet they don't equal 60 gb... very weird.

Let us know if you figure out the problem.

4. Vylen macrumors 65816

Terminal > du -sh /*

A good place to start to see the size of every directory in your root path.

5. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

or a large chunk of virtual memory has stolen some space, a reboot will fix that.

do you run VMs OP? what software do you have installed?

7. sboerup thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, the pics above are AFTER the additional 40GB has appeared . . . yet they still equal the amount it was previous.

No VMs, nothing out of the ordinary. At first I thought it was a sleep file, but it has gone to sleep previously.

Thanks for the link on GrandPerspective, I remember using an app extremely similar when on Windows, so this was exactly what I was looking for. Yet, GrandPerspective also says a total size of 19.5GB . . .

When I 'Get Info' on my boot disk, this is what I get (Disk Utility shows the same stats):

[​IMG]

My drive is a 160GB Intel SSD. Previously it would say I had 140GB space left. It shows 85GB now because I just added a BootCamp Partition of 20GB for Win7. Nothing installed yet, I literally just did the bootcamp after this discussion started.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i have absolutely no idea then if thats the case - repair disk permissions, reboot, reset PRAM etc, try the usual stuff.

9. sboerup thread starter macrumors 6502

This is a screencap from GrandPerspective:

[​IMG]

What is this "miscellaneous used space"???

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that is a very good question! does it let you see at all in the detailed view?

11. Vylen macrumors 65816

I still think you should do the terminal command I suggested :p

12. sboerup thread starter macrumors 6502

jedijoe, how do I access the /var/log folder?

DoFoT9, yes it does, the largest file being Adobe Acrobat at a whopping 950mb. This is what it looks like (great app if you've never used it, helped me find about 10GB of obsolete large data files that I no longer needed on other drives but could never find). Here is my boot, color coded by Top Folder on the Boot Drive (apps being the largest portion, library, system, users):

[​IMG]

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

14. sboerup thread starter macrumors 6502

No offense, I needed to verify what the command does before doing said commands from a stranger on the internetz :D

Here is the report:
    9.7G /Applications
    du: /Library/Application Support/Apple/ParentalControls/Users: Permission denied
    2.6G /Library
    0B /Network
    du: /System/Library/DirectoryServices/DefaultLocalDB/Default: Permission denied
    du: /System/Library/User Template: Permission denied
    2.3G /System
    87M /Users

15. bamf macrumors 6502

I like the app Whatsize as well. It is a GUI for du -sh * basically.

16. sboerup thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, and rebooted multiple times since this morning. :)

17. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

18. Vylen macrumors 65816

19. Vylen macrumors 65816

There should be a lot more folders than that :confused:

20. sboerup thread starter macrumors 6502

There were, just all different volumes, but this is everything that wasn't on a different /Volume/

Now that I understand this command, how do I get past the "permission denied", ie: root access search?

21. Vylen macrumors 65816

sudo du -sh /*

Runs the command as root.

You should have folders like /bin /etc /dev /usr /var ... you know... folders that let the system run... heh

22. sboerup thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, ran the command as root, nothing different . . .

One thought, since my home folder has been moved to a separate drive, is there a way that it is including data from the Home folder? Doesn't make sense that it would, but, just a though . . .

23. sboerup thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool app, here's the results. My quick math totals all of these just under 17GB.

[​IMG]

24. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

you have to have directories like /bin /usr /var or your computer would simply not boot..

Try this instead in Terminal
    Code:
    for dir in /*; do sudo du -sh $dir; done
    and
    Code:
    for dir in /private/*; do sudo du -sh $dir; done

25. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

Maybe your filesystem is corrupt.. this can cause the usage to report incorrectly.

You can verify your root disk in Disk Utility, but if there are errors, you have to repair it from a boot cd or another boot from disk....